[comp.unix.ultrix] DS3100/dc0 support for modem control

ttl@sti.fi (Timo Lehtinen) (07/23/90)

The dc(4) man page (in ULTRIX V3.1D) says that the serial line controller
on DECstation 3100 and 2100 only provide partial modem control. Could
anyone enlighten me as to what functionality specifically is missing ?

I'm writing a program which needs to sense whether Carrier Detect is on
and can't figure out how to do it. For instance

	ioctl(fd, TIOCWONLINE); /* wait for carrier */

never blocks regardless of whether I have a cable on the port or not.

Is it me or the dc0 ?

Any help much appreciated,

Timo

--
Timo Lehtinen			Internet:	ttl@sti.fi
Stream Technologies Inc.	X.400:		C=fi,A=fumail,P=inet,O=sti

obg@sics.se (Olof Backing) (07/23/90)

ttl@sti.fi (Timo Lehtinen) writes:

>The dc(4) man page (in ULTRIX V3.1D) says that the serial line controller
>on DECstation 3100 and 2100 only provide partial modem control. Could
>anyone enlighten me as to what functionality specifically is missing ?

>I'm writing a program which needs to sense whether Carrier Detect is on
>and can't figure out how to do it. For instance

>	ioctl(fd, TIOCWONLINE); /* wait for carrier */

>never blocks regardless of whether I have a cable on the port or not.

>Is it me or the dc0 ?

>Any help much appreciated,

From what I've heard from the DECpeople here in Sweden, the serialport
on a DEC3100 (and I guess DEC2100) will only support the following:

1 - frame ground
2 - TxD
3 - RxD
6 - fuzzy comb. of DCD & DSR
7 - signal ground
8 - see pin 6
20 - outgoing DTR

But thats only valid for one of the serialports. Cant remember which
one at the moment, but do a 'file /dev/tty0[01]' and you'll see.

WHOAMI: Olof Backing                                  EMAIL:
WHERE:  Swedish Institute of Computer Science (SICS)  obg@sics.se
SNAIL:  Professorsslingan 25/102, S-104 05 Stockholm, Sweden
VOICE:  + 46 8 166318