[comp.unix.ultrix] uid range on Ultrix

iglesias@orion.oac.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) (07/26/90)

It appears from the /etc/adduser script that the maximum uid Ultrix
can handle is 32000, and tests seem to prove that out.  Is there some
reason that the maximum uid is limited to 32000, when it could go as
high as 32767?  We have uids grouped by department, and we'd really
like to be able to be able to use uids between 32000 and 32767.  Does
Ultrix v4.0 have the same restriction?

Thanks

Mike Iglesias
University of California, Irvine
Internet:    iglesias@orion.oac.uci.edu
BITNET:      iglesias@uci
uucp:        ...!ucbvax!ucivax!iglesias

mogul@wrl.dec.com (Jeffrey Mogul) (07/26/90)

In article <26ADE591.9398@orion.oac.uci.edu> iglesias@orion.oac.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) writes:

>It appears from the /etc/adduser script that the maximum uid Ultrix
>can handle is 32000, and tests seem to prove that out.  Is there some
>reason that the maximum uid is limited to 32000, when it could go as
>high as 32767?  We have uids grouped by department, and we'd really
>like to be able to be able to use uids between 32000 and 32767.  Does
>Ultrix v4.0 have the same restriction?

If you have an Ultrix system you should have /usr/include/sys/limits.h,
which includes this comment:
 * 005  Mark A. Parenti, 3-Sep-1987
 *      Add defines for POSIX compliance.
 *      Change UID_MAX from 60000 to 32000. The uid field is a short
 *      throughout the kernel and as such can only handle up to 32767.
 *      The 60000 is a remnant from System V which uses an unsigned
 *      short.  This change eases POSIX compliance in regards to error
 *      checking in the setuid() system call.

Now, I don't know why he set it to 32000 instead of 32767, unless
some requirement in the POSIX specs gives this limit.  And, as far
as I can discover, the limit is still 32000 in Ultrix 4.0

If you are unhappy about this this, you could file an SPR and complain;
perhaps by the next release it will be fixed.

Of course, if you had sources, you could recompile your kernel after
changing the value ... but that's probably not a cost-effective option.

-Jeff

chetal@flume.zk3.dec.com (Pradeep Chetal) (07/26/90)

(Mike Iglesias) writes:

|> It appears from the /etc/adduser script that the maximum uid Ultrix
|> can handle is 32000, and tests seem to prove that out.  Is there some
|> reason that the maximum uid is limited to 32000, when it could go as
|> high as 32767?  We have uids grouped by department, and we'd really
|> like to be able to be able to use uids between 32000 and 32767.  Does
|> Ultrix v4.0 have the same restriction?
|>
|> Thanks
|>
|> Mike Iglesias
|> University of California, Irvine
|> Internet:    iglesias@orion.oac.uci.edu
|> BITNET:      iglesias@uci
|> uucp:        ...!ucbvax!ucivax!iglesias

Yup, Ultrix 4.0 HAS the same restriction.
This is for POSIX compliance.

/Pradeep
Pradeep Chetal			UUCP:		...!decvax!chetal
M/S ZKO3-3/T79			Internet: 	chetal@decvax.dec.com
DEC				Phone:		(603)881-0424 (O)
110 Spitbrook Road
Nashua, NH 03062

In article <157@decvax.decvax.dec.com.UUCP> chetal@flume.zk3.dec.com (Pradeep Chetal) writes:
> [my question about the max uid deleted]
>
>Yup, Ultrix 4.0 HAS the same restriction.
>This is for POSIX compliance.
>
>/Pradeep

POSIX doesn't define the UID_MAX, just that the uid_t type should be a short.

karish@mindcrf.UUCP (07/27/90)

In article <26AF09F9.18927@orion.oac.uci.edu> iglesias@orion.oac.uci.edu
(Mike Iglesias) writes:
>In article <157@decvax.decvax.dec.com.UUCP> chetal@flume.zk3.dec.com
>(Pradeep Chetal) writes:
>> [my question about the max uid deleted]
>>Yup, Ultrix 4.0 HAS the same restriction.
>>This is for POSIX compliance.
>
>POSIX doesn't define the UID_MAX, just that the uid_t type should be a short.

    POSIX requires that uid_t be an arithmetic type, and does not
    specify whether it's signed or not.  Some POSIX-conforming systems
    have uid_t defined as type unsigned long.  Which raises some
    interesting questions when it's time to make NFS work, but that's
    another story...

    By the way, ULTRIX 4.0 seems to accept user IDs between 32000 and
    32767.  At least, chmod() returns without error when I give it
    32700 as a user ID and as a group ID.
--

	Chuck Karish		karish@mindcraft.com
	Mindcraft, Inc.		(415) 323-9000