[comp.unix.ultrix] ultrix 4.0 stability

emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) (07/25/90)

if there's someone who's running ultrix 4.0 & would like to
comment on its stability I'm interested.  just got in 3
ds5000's with some tapes that say ultrix 4.0 plus a tape that
says "mandatory patches" with the promise of more patches to
come.

especially looking for installation gotchas....

--Ed

Edward Vielmetti, U of Michigan <emv@math.lsa.umich.edu>

jg@crl.dec.com (Jim Gettys) (07/26/90)

As more or less a consumer at roughly the level you are likely to
be, I've had little problem with 4.0.  Seems to be stable.  We've
been running it here for some weeks a DS5000 server and a number of
workstations.

The remaining patches to come (since you are one of the early
release sites due to needing support on the PX option)
are generally SMP related, and as you are on a DS5000, this is a pretty moot
point.

As I didn't do the installation (other than a normal diskless remote install),
I won't comment on installation gotchas.
				- Jim

scs@iti.org (Steve Simmons) (07/26/90)

emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) writes:

>if there's someone who's running ultrix 4.0 & would like to
>comment on its stability I'm interested.  just got in 3
>ds5000's with some tapes that say ultrix 4.0 plus a tape that
>says "mandatory patches" with the promise of more patches to
>come.

>especially looking for installation gotchas....

I spoke to Ed face-to-face the other day, but will repeat for
those generally interested:

We had a beta copy of 4.0 until yesterday on a 3100 (my own workstation).
I beat it, used DecWindows, plain X, X w/uwm, cross mounted NFS stuff to
3.1, 3.1C, Suns, and a Gould.  In general, it worked.  I found one and
only one bug (in su), which was susceptable to an easy workaround.  It's
been reported to DEC, and was hopefully fixed before release.

I ran 3.1 and 3.1C binaries on 4.0beta with no problems, but did not
try the reverse.

It did not have ndbm, and still ran BSD 4.2 syslog rather than 4.3.  I did
did not try building either one on Ultrix 4.0, but note that they were
largely compile and go if you have BSD source.  Sorry, I will not
distribute binaries for the unlicenced.

It will run the IDA sendmail 5.59 available by anon ftp from
gatekeeper.dec.com.

We did not run DEC bind.

mellon@fenris.pa.dec.com (Ted Lemon) (07/27/90)

Actually, 4.0 does have ndbm.   It's in /usr/lib/libc.a, though, so
all those utilities that try to load it from /usr/lib/libndbm.a report
that it isn't there.   Sigh.

BTW, I've been running 4.0 for about four months now.   The only
flakiness I've seen in the recent releases has been in the new
graphics drivers, which were still under development last time I tried
them out.   Last time I tried them out was several months ago - I hear
that they're production quality now.

I can't think of a good reason not to install 4.0 on a new machine.

			       _MelloN_

emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) (07/29/90)

In <EMV.90Jul24202745@stag.math.lsa.umich.edu> I asked about
Ultrix 4.0.

Thanks to all who replied.  I now have Ultrix 4.0 up and running, it
was relatively painless all things considered to get it to go , at
least in comparison with SunOS 4.0.3.

--Ed

Edward Vielmetti, U of Michigan math dept <emv@math.lsa.umich.edu>
( a.k.a. Edward Vielmetti, U of Michigan stat dept <emv@stat.lsa.umich.edu> )