[comp.unix.ultrix] diskless -- ULTDL030 subset

kbesrl@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (07/28/90)

Hello folks, I am having a problem with diskless client installation
on a MicroVAX II running Ultrix 3.1.
I need to install ULTDL031 subset before I do anything else.  However,
ULTDL031 depends on ULTDL030 and so I cannot install it without ULTDL030.
Guess what, I cannot find ULTDL030 on the installation media.  I tried
all the avenues open to me to find out if a subset ULTDL030 exists, but
to no avail.
Is there such a subset?  Is it really needed (otherwise, I can edit
ULTDL031.ctrl and remove the DEPS="ULTDL030" line from it)?  If it is
needed, how can I get it?
Thanks a lot.
-- sudhakar
   sudha@kbesrl.me.uiuc.edu

stefan@wheaton.UUCP (Stefan Brandle ) (07/30/90)

In article <22100008@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> kbesrl@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>I need to install ULTDL031 subset before I do anything else.  However,
>ULTDL031 depends on ULTDL030 and so I cannot install it without ULTDL030.

You can get around this by doing a `touch /usr/adm/subsets/ULTDL030.lk' to
create the lock file that claims the software set is loaded.  I had the problem
back aways when trying to load DECnet on a 3.1c machine and DECnet went bananas
claiming it couldn't be loaded because it couldn't find Ultrix 3.0 loaded on
the machine -- they have a generic V3.0 DECnet that doesn't realize that Ultrix
3.1 is a kosher substitute for 3.0.

>Is there such a subset?  Is it really needed (otherwise, I can edit
>ULTDL031.ctrl and remove the DEPS="ULTDL030" line from it)?  If it is
>needed, how can I get it?

You can always fake it and see if it blows up (:-).  Somebody who knows what
they're talking about should probably answer this.

-sb
--
Stefan Brandle                  UUCP: ...!{obdient,uunet!tellab5}!wheaton!stefan