[comp.unix.ultrix] LPS20 PostScript Extensions

hascall@cs.iastate.edu (John Hascall) (07/26/90)

   Could someone please point me towards a description of the
"extra" PostScript commands recognized by DEC's LPS20 printer
(or if the list is short mail/post it).  I am esp. interested in
the one to move the output stacker.

Thanks a bunch,
John Hascall
john@iastate.edu  / hascall@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu

hcochran@adobe.com (Holly Wanless Cochran) (07/27/90)

  John,

    All printer-specific PostScript commands should be
documented in the printer's manual. Do you have a manual
for that printer?

--Holly Cochran
  Adobe Systems Inc.
  holly@adobe.com

stergios@portia.Stanford.EDU (stergios marinopoulos) (07/28/90)

I have a "PostScript Extensions" chapter in the "PrinterServer
Client for ULTRIX Users Guide" under Programmer's Supplement.

for "output stacking" I assume you mean tray selection.

use the "setdefaultoutputtray" operator.  It takes one operand, an
integer, describing which tray you want.  try 0,1,2,3.  They worked on
my lps40, which is very close to an lps20 except for double sided
printing.

you can use the "defaultoutputtray" to see what the current value is.
this word leaves an int on the stack.

sm

hascall@cs.iastate.edu (John Hascall) (07/30/90)

stergios@jessica.stanford.edu writes:
}I (John) write:

}I have a "PostScript Extensions" chapter in the "PrinterServer
}Client for ULTRIX Users Guide" under Programmer's Supplement.

   Hmmm, I don't recall seeing this in mine, (but then mine was just
printed-off at the local DEC office), but I will RTFM again -- I was
rather expecting a separate manual describing all of the extensions
like we got with all of our LN03r's (if there is in fact such a
manual for the LPS20 I would greatly appreciate the order #).

}for "output stacking" I assume you mean tray selection....
}my lps40, which is very close to an lps20 except for double sided
}printing.

   No, in addition to duplexing, the LPS20 can offset-stack the jobs
in the main output trays (so they are easier to separate -- that is,
one job comes out, then the rollers shift sideways about a half-inch
so the next job is not exactly on top of the previous one).  This is
what I am trying to discover how to do.

Thanks all,
John Hascall

john@iastate.edu  <or>  hascall@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu

gordon@grivel.une.oz.au (Gordon Smith) (07/31/90)

From article <2363@dino.cs.iastate.edu>, by hascall@cs.iastate.edu (John Hascall):
>    No, in addition to duplexing, the LPS20 can offset-stack the jobs
> in the main output trays (so they are easier to separate -- that is,
> one job comes out, then the rollers shift sideways about a half-inch
> so the next job is not exactly on top of the previous one).  This is
> what I am trying to discover how to do.
Have you given thought to separating jobs by anther method. I've set things
up for our LPS40 and LPS20 (tcp/ip flavour) to use paper from another tray
for the header sheet. This sheet is a different colour and about 7mm wider
than the default A4. When you take a wad of output off a printer it's really
obvious where the job breaks are.
--
Gordon Smith, Computer Centre, Uni. of New England, Armidale, Australia 2351
Internet: gordon@gara.une.oz.au, 'phone: +61 67 73 2287, fax: +61 67 73 3272