[comp.unix.ultrix] VS2000 Serial port

powers@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (08/06/90)

About a week ago I asked for information about using the 25 pin serial port
on a VAXstation 2000 for SLIP.  I haven't gotten any responses and am still
having no luck.  Now I'd like to just get the port working for a terminal.

When I plug in a set of RS232 test lights nothing comes up, same is true if
I use a vt320 terminal.  I'm convinced that the cable from the port to the
tester is good (checked on another machine).

I'd really appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction to
resurrect this guy.

			Mark Powers
			Miami University
			Academic Computer Service

andy@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Andy S Poling) (08/07/90)

In article <2071.26bd28b1@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu> powers@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu writes:
>About a week ago I asked for information about using the 25 pin serial port
>on a VAXstation 2000 for SLIP.  I haven't gotten any responses and am still
>having no luck.  Now I'd like to just get the port working for a terminal.
>
>When I plug in a set of RS232 test lights nothing comes up, same is true if
>I use a vt320 terminal.  I'm convinced that the cable from the port to the
>tester is good (checked on another machine).
>
>I'd really appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction to
>resurrect this guy.

Just for general info, I finally found where I read about what ports 0-3 on
the VS2000 can be.  Looking at the man page for ss(4) reveals that these
assignments differ depending upon whether you have a real condole (on the
printer port) or a "virtual" console on your VR-whatever.

What alarms me is where it seems to imply that because I am using a real
console terminal on the printer port, I cannot connect any other terminal
devices.  Can this be true?!  I was counting on being able to use that port
for secure logins.

-Andy
--
Andy Poling                              Internet: andy@gollum.hcf.jhu.edu