[comp.unix.ultrix] Which disk to buy?

roode@anansi.acs.uci.edu (Dana Roode) (08/09/90)

We are setting a group of high-speed workstations (perhaps DECsystem
5000s) that will be running very large 3d visualization packages and
codes.  We anticipate lots of memory and paging activity.  We are
thinking of buying a good amount of RAM (32mb) on each system, and
giving each a local swapping/temporary storage disk.

We want about 200-300mb disks - what do people feel is a good performing,
reliable, reasonably priced SCSI disk?  What we are familar with
and/or have good access to include CDC Wren IV's, MaxTor LXT200s's,
and the DEC RZ55.  Transfer rates on each seem quite similar, but
the DEC disk seems to have a slower seek/access time than the other
two.  Given that a paging disk will jump around alot, this seems
important.

Does anyone have any insight on this?  I am beginning to think
it doesnt much matter which disk we go with.  Should we just stick
with the RZ55?

Please respond via e-mail, to:

   Dana Roode
   droode@uci.edu    -or-    DRoode@UCI (Bitnet)

   UC Irvine

abstine@image.soe.clarkson.edu (Arthur Stine) (08/09/90)

From article <26C0DD8D.22566@orion.oac.uci.edu>, by roode@anansi.acs.uci.edu (Dana Roode):

> We are setting a group of high-speed workstations (perhaps DECsystem
> 5000s) that will be running very large 3d visualization packages and
> codes.  We anticipate lots of memory and paging activity.  We are
> thinking of buying a good amount of RAM (32mb) on each system, and
> giving each a local swapping/temporary storage disk.
>
> We want about 200-300mb disks - what do people feel is a good performing,
> reliable, reasonably priced SCSI disk?  What we are familar with
> and/or have good access to include CDC Wren IV's, MaxTor LXT200s's,
> and the DEC RZ55.  Transfer rates on each seem quite similar, but
> the DEC disk seems to have a slower seek/access time than the other
> two.  Given that a paging disk will jump around alot, this seems
> important.

If you are looking for some fast disks in the 300MB range, look into the
CDC (now Seagate) Wren-Runners. They have a faster seek time (since they spin
faster than 3600 rpm) and their transfer rates are also higher I believe.
The other Wren's are good too, just not quite as speedy as the WrenRunner.
HP makes some good 600M drives too. If you shop around, you can find either
of these two types of drives with 5yr warranties too, which saves $$ in the
long run.

BTW: The RZ55 can be made to run faster with the FCO for the ROMs inside. The
original 55 was a slug, due to the older ROM's. Newer 55's are better, although
probably not as good as a normal Wren and not close to the Wren Runner.

--
Art Stine
Sr Network Engineer

reha@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Reha Elci) (08/10/90)

The new RZ55's that come in the storage expansion box are significantly
faster than the old rz55's. I would definitely stick with them since
reliability has been much better (in comparison to CDC Wren's etc...).
If you want absolutely the fastest the new double cached RZ57 is as good
as a disk gets...

Reha Elci

jones@acsu.buffalo.edu (terry a jones) (08/10/90)

In article <1990Aug9.183554.20896@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> reha@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Reha Elci) writes:
>The new RZ55's that come in the storage expansion box are significantly
>faster than the old rz55's. I would definitely stick with them since
>reliability has been much better (in comparison to CDC Wren's etc...).
>If you want absolutely the fastest the new double cached RZ57 is as good
>as a disk gets...
>
>Reha Elci

	The only problem I see with this is the price.  I added a Conner
CP-3100 to my MicroVAX 3100.  For what DEC is charging for the RZ23, I can
buy four of the CP-3100s.  It is essentially the same drive manufactured
by Conner, with DEC's configuration and labelling added.  With a bit of
research I'm sure you can get a much better drive for your dollar, if not
the same drive.

			Terry Jones

--
Terry Jones   				{rutgers,uunet}!acsu.buffalo.edu!jones
SUNY at Buffalo ECE Dept.		  or: rutgers!ub!jones

You are in a maze of twisty little compiler features, all different.

braun@drivax.UUCP (Kral) (08/10/90)

In article <26C0DD8D.22566@orion.oac.uci.edu> roode@anansi.acs.uci.edu
(Dana Roode) writes:

>We want about 200-300mb disks - what do people feel is a good performing,
>reliable, reasonably priced SCSI disk?  What we are familar with
>and/or have good access to include CDC Wren IV's, MaxTor LXT200s's,
>and the DEC RZ55.  Transfer rates on each seem quite similar, but
>the DEC disk seems to have a slower seek/access time than the other
>two.  Given that a paging disk will jump around alot, this seems
>important.
>
>Does anyone have any insight on this?  I am beginning to think
>it doesnt much matter which disk we go with.  Should we just stick
>with the RZ55?

I answered Dana's posting via email, as requested, but I have a similar
question I would like to post.  We have an MV3100 running 3.x Ultrix, and we
had originally purchased the machine with a pair of Fujitsu M2263s 650 MB
drives.  It turns out that the cacheing firmware has a bug in it, corrupting
data.

We are seriously considering tossing these back to the dealer and getting
either an RZ57 or a pair of RZ56s.  However, I would like to try one more time
to get a better $/MB deal.  Is there anyone out there running Ultrix with SCSI
drives that can 'fur sure' recommend any 3rd party drives?  We have need
between 1000 and 1500 MB, and we have an internal RZ23 (104MB) drive.

Thanx,

--
kral * 408/647-6112 * {uunet|amdahl}!drivax!braun * braun%drivax@uunet.uu.net
discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but "That's funny ..."

dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt) (08/10/90)

In article <1990Aug9.144555.18566@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> abstine@image.soe.clarkson.edu (Arthur Stine) writes:

> If you are looking for some fast disks in the 300MB range, look into the
> CDC (now Seagate) Wren-Runners. They have a faster seek time (since they spin
> faster than 3600 rpm) and their transfer rates are also higher I believe.
> The other Wren's are good too, just not quite as speedy as the WrenRunner.

According to a conversation I had with an Imprimis/CDC/Seagate rep at
Systems/USA earlier this year, Wren Runner drives spin at the same speed
as normal Wrens.

A 300-meg Wren Runner is built using the same mechanism as a 600-meg
Wren... but the Runner firmware is set up to use only the outer half of
the disk.  A 600-meg Wren (or a 300-meg Wren Runner) has its cylinders
packed roughly twice as closely as a normal 300-meg Wren.  Hence, when a
300-meg Wren Runner must move its heads to a new cylinder, it must move
them (on average) only about half as far as a normal Wren would have to
move.  This cuts the seek-time by roughtly one third, on average (e.g.
10 msec typical rather than 16).

It's true that Seagate/Imprimis is working on drives which spin faster
than the usual 3600 RPM.  This increases the drive's transfer rate...
the speed with which it can read or write data _after_ the seek has been
completed and the drive is on-sector.  It doesn't directly affect seek
speed by very much (except for latency within the track being sought).