[comp.unix.ultrix] problems with lpd daemon.

phatak@umvlsi.ecs.umass.edu (Dhananjay S Phatak) (08/17/90)

	We have a Decstation 3100 with a mips risc cpu, running ultrix 3.1 .
The lpd daemon on the system seems to have a lot of problems. The
original demon (139264 bytes) was replaced by a new version almost
double the size (279192 bytes) during the ultrix-decnet print server
client software isntallation. This new demon can communicate only with
the lps40 via decnet, it cannot handle any remote ques. It simply keeps
giving the message "warning no demon present" and the files supposed to
be shipped to the remote machines just sit in the local spool directories
for ever. I tried everything i could, with lpr, lpc, lpd, printcap, and
and the corresponding man pages. "Guide to system environment setup" has
a chapter on printer setup but it did not help.

	Then I copied lpd demons from a couple of other machines with
identical cpus (executables). They did solve the remote printing problem,
but they cannot communicate with the lps40.

	Is there is a way to achieve both printing to lps40 via decnet
and remote printing ?
Please reply by e-mail to phatak@umvlsi.ecs.umass.edu. or
phatak@umaecs
thanks.

In article <1143@umvlsi.ecs.umass.edu> phatak@umvlsi.ecs.umass.edu (Dhananjay S Phatak) writes:

> 	We have a Decstation 3100 with a mips risc cpu, running ultrix 3.1 .
> The lpd daemon on the system seems to have a lot of problems. The
> original demon (139264 bytes) was replaced by a new version almost
> double the size (279192 bytes) during the ultrix-decnet print server
> client software isntallation. This new demon can communicate only with
> the lps40 via decnet, it cannot handle any remote ques. It simply keeps
> giving the message "warning no demon present" and the files supposed to
> be shipped to the remote machines just sit in the local spool directories
> for ever. I tried everything i could, with lpr, lpc, lpd, printcap, and
> and the corresponding man pages. "Guide to system environment setup" has
> a chapter on printer setup but it did not help.

Make sure you have an error logfile defined and see what kind of silly messages
are accumulating.  We use the LPS20 decnet software, I vaguely remember having
to change a few previously default parameters in the printcap entries before it
would work normally.