[comp.unix.ultrix] resolver

hubcap@hubcap.clemson.edu (System Janitor) (08/23/90)

Hi -

DEC just gave me a CD with 4.0 on it to install on my 5000, so they
could give a sales pitch to someone on campus who is going to buy some
workstations. Yea! So now I've got 4.0 on my workstation, and don't have
to wait for it to ship!

I installed it no problem, but it seems that svcorder is a thing of the
past (no mention of it in the man pages anyhow).

So - nslookup can resolve stuff (I put in a domain and nameserver line in
/etc/resolv.conf), but telnet, ftp, rlogin, none of that stuff works unless
I put the mappings into /etc/hosts. I don't have the documentation (just
the CD) and ``man -k'' hasn't helped me yet, so maybe y'all will -
how do I get stuff to start resolving off the DNS?

-Mike

avolio@decuac.DEC.COM (Frederick M. Avolio) (08/24/90)

You want to edit /etc/svc.conf.  The hosts line should be edited to have bind
on it.  For example:

aliases=local
auth=local
group=local
hosts=bind,local
netgroup=local
networks=local,bind
passwd=local
protocols=local
rpc=local
services=local

Fred

mamros@cavdog.enet.dec.com (Shawn Mamros) (08/24/90)

Take a look at the man page for svc.conf(5).  /etc/svc.conf is the
ULTRIX V4.0 file that takes the place of svcorder.  If you change
the
   hosts=local
line to
   hosts=local,bind
then the network services will resolve host table information
from DNS.

-Shawn Mamros
mamros@aiag.enet.dec.com or mamros@cavdog.enet.dec.com

harley@gotit.shr.dec.com (Harley Privitera) (08/24/90)

You can use svcsetup(8) to do this, too.

--

 Harley Privitera			"All opinions expressed or implied
 harley@gotit.shr.dec.com		 or implied are mine, and you know

thomas@mipsbx.nac.dec.com (Matt Thomas) (08/24/90)

In article <10200@hubcap.clemson.edu> hubcap@hubcap.clemson.edu (System Janitor) writes:
>So - nslookup can resolve stuff (I put in a domain and nameserver line in
>/etc/resolv.conf), but telnet, ftp, rlogin, none of that stuff works unless
>I put the mappings into /etc/hosts. I don't have the documentation (just
>the CD) and ``man -k'' hasn't helped me yet, so maybe y'all will -
>how do I get stuff to start resolving off the DNS?
>
>-Mike

bindsetup (you did run bindsetup didn't you?) at then end tells you to
run svcsetup (to edit svc.conf) and the hosts entry to include bind.

Matt Thomas                     Internet:   thomas@wrl.dec.com
DECnet-ULTRIX Development       UUCP:       ...!decwrl!thomas
Digital Equipment Corporation   Disclaimer: This message reflects my own
Littleton, MA                               warped views, etc.

iglesias@orion.oac.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) (08/24/90)

In article <10200@hubcap.clemson.edu> hubcap@hubcap.clemson.edu (System Janitor) writes:
>I installed it no problem, but it seems that svcorder is a thing of the
>past (no mention of it in the man pages anyhow).
>
>So - nslookup can resolve stuff (I put in a domain and nameserver line in
>/etc/resolv.conf), but telnet, ftp, rlogin, none of that stuff works unless
>I put the mappings into /etc/hosts. I don't have the documentation (just
>the CD) and ``man -k'' hasn't helped me yet, so maybe y'all will -
>how do I get stuff to start resolving off the DNS?

The file is called /etc/svc.conf now.  I didn't do the install on our 5000,
but I think there is an example copy of the file in /etc.

Mike Iglesias
University of California, Irvine
Internet:    iglesias@orion.oac.uci.edu
BITNET:      iglesias@uci
uucp:        ...!ucbvax!ucivax!iglesias

mcba@magellan.phys.unsw.OZ.AU (Michael C. B. Ashley) (08/24/90)

I have the same problem as hubcap@hubcap.clemson.edu with the resolver
on a DS5000 running ULTRIX 4.0. The named daemon works fine, but ftp,
telnet, etc. don't ask it questions. I know about /etc/svc.conf, but it
doesn't help. I have tried setting

hosts=bind,local
networks=local,bind

and many different combinations, with no success. Note that one of the
man pages says that you should never use the order "bind,local" (as
recommended by Frederick Avolio), but rather "local,bind", what is going
on here? Is it possible that the hesiod additions are getting in the
way? Unfortunately, I don't have printed documentation yet so I don't
have access to the "Guide to the BIND/Hesiod Service" (incidentally, how
*do* you pronounce "Hesiod"?).

Bye for now,
Michael Ashley mcba@usage.csd.unsw.oz.au
Dept. of Astrophysics, University of New South Wales

In article <815@usage.csd.unsw.oz.au> mcba@magellan.phys.unsw.OZ.AU (Michael C. B. Ashley) writes:
>I have the same problem as hubcap@hubcap.clemson.edu with the resolver
>on a DS5000 running ULTRIX 4.0. The named daemon works fine, but ftp,
>telnet, etc. don't ask it questions. I know about /etc/svc.conf, but it
>doesn't help. I have tried setting
>
>hosts=bind,local
>networks=local,bind
>
>and many different combinations, with no success.

Sounds like you haven't setup your /etc/resolv.conf file.  You can
either do it by hand or run /usr/etc/bindsetup.  If you want to do
it by hand, create the file with records that look like this:

  domain your-default-domain
  nameserver ip-address-of-your-nameserver
  nameserver ip-address-of-next-nameserver
  nameserver ip-address-of-last-nameserver

The default domain is the domain to tack on to an unqualified host name.
For example, the default domain name for the system I'm sending this from
is "oac.uci.edu", so I can type "telnet xyzzy" to telnet to
xyzzy.oac.uci.edu.

The nameserver stuff under Ultrix 4.0 works fine here on our 5000, so
I think you just need to get your /etc/resolv.conf file setup and you'll
be ok.

mcba@magellan.phys.unsw.OZ.AU (Michael C. B. Ashley) (08/25/90)

In article <26D537A0.18921@orion.oac.uci.edu>, iglesias@orion.oac.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) writes:
> Sounds like you haven't setup your /etc/resolv.conf file.  You can
> either do it by hand or run /usr/etc/bindsetup.

Thanks Mike for your comments, however, setting up /etc/resolv.conf
doesn't help either. I should have mentioned that I am trying to set up
a BIND secondary server, which according to the old ULTRIX 3.0
documentation must not have an /etc/resolv.conf file present (although
man 5 resolv.conf says that "The /etc/resolv.conf file is required if
your system is running BIND."). If I do create an /etc/resolv.conf file
and specify a nameserver, then the resolver does work, but my machine
has now become a BIND client and not a secondary server.

I should point out that the previous incarnation of the machine was as a
DS3100 running ULTRIX 3.1D, and the secondary server stuff was working
fine without /etc/resolv.conf. In setting up the new system I have used
netsetup install, bindsetup, and svcsetup.

Anyway, I think my best bet is to wait the arrival of the ULTRIX 4.0
hardcopy manuals on BIND/Hesiod. Thanks again for everyone's comments.

Michael Ashley  mcba@usage.csd.unsw.oz.au
Astrophysics Dept., University of New South Wales

avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) (08/25/90)

Let me point out that if one follows the directions and uses bindsetup and
svcsetup as instructed one wouldn't have these problems.  (I know because
I didn't do that and I forgot resolv.conf.)

ON another note, gutsy people do bind,local :-).  Seriously, it matters
very little, but the reason you want -- in a normal setup -- local first
is so that it can find nfs mount stuff, localhost, your bind servers,
etc. without waiting on bind to timeout (which is possible since we've
got named starting up way down  in the rc.local file).

Fred

avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) (08/25/90)

We're getting close gang... :-)

Here's my resolv.conf file:

domain dco.dec.com
nameserver 127.0.0.1

In fact, a pal of mine at the Univ of Maryland would add other nameservers
in case your named goes bonkers (stranger things have happened) then you
at least have a fighting chance.  But what do I know... I put bind
before local in svc.conf :-).

Fred