[comp.unix.ultrix] Risc 4.0 Install

schemers@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Roland Schemers III) (08/24/90)

Hello! I'm trying to install 4.0 on our 5820, but have run into a snag.
I am doing an advanced install, and selected "all of the above" for the
support subsets. Everything loads fine up to the RAND mail handler, which
is at the end of the first tape. It says please mount volume 2, and when
I do I get:

Please remove tape volume 1 and place it with volume 2.
Are you ready (y/n)? y
stdin: not in compressed format
tar: blocksize = 0
Verifying RAND Mail Handler (UDTMH400)
setld:
There were verifications errors....
Then from then on all of the subsets get verify errors.

Has anyone encountered this problem? We have about 6 different copies
of 4.0, and I'm on the third.  I decided to just let the install finish,
and now I'm trying to use setld to load the ones that failed first.

E-Mail would be nice. I'm also putting a call into DEC.

Thanx,
  Roland (schemers@vela.acs.oakland.edu)

--
Roland J. Schemers III                              Systems Programmer
schemers@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Ultrix)              Oakland University

goldberg@davidsys.com (Seth Goldberg) (08/27/90)

In article <2712@vela.acs.oakland.edu>, schemers@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Roland Schemers III) writes:
> Hello! I'm trying to install 4.0 on our 5820, but have run into a snag.
> I am doing an advanced install, and selected "all of the above" for the
> support subsets. Everything loads fine up to the RAND mail handler, which
> is at the end of the first tape. It says please mount volume 2, and when
> I do I get:
>
> Please remove tape volume 1 and place it with volume 2.
> Are you ready (y/n)? y
> stdin: not in compressed format
> tar: blocksize = 0
> Verifying RAND Mail Handler (UDTMH400)
> setld:
> There were verifications errors....
> Then from then on all of the subsets get verify errors.
>
> Has anyone encountered this problem? We have about 6 different copies
> of 4.0, and I'm on the third.  I decided to just let the install finish,
> and now I'm trying to use setld to load the ones that failed first.
>
> E-Mail would be nice. I'm also putting a call into DEC.
>
> Thanx,
>   Roland (schemers@vela.acs.oakland.edu)

I strongly suspect the problem is that you were using TK50 tapes and did
not wait for the tape to come ready before typing yes.  One important
thing to note (this happened to me which is how I know) is that at least
on the DECStation 5000 SCSI bus, the TK50 actually appears to be ready
and then about 5 seconds later it starts to blink the green light again.
If you are too quick on the draw to type return, you fail to notice that
part and get just the error you get above.

--
Seth Goldberg
Manager, Computer Resources