[comp.unix.ultrix] ULTRIX problems, problems and problems

josevela@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (Jose Angel Vela Avila) (09/01/90)

> In <2039@gmuvax2.gmu.edu> rauletta@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (R. J. Auletta) writes:

>>the following errors are reported on the console and by uerf
>>occasionally after a dialin session is terminated.
>>The rd and sd lights on the modem are full on.

>>MESSAGE                                 dhu1, line4: recv. fifo overflow

> We've had a couple of different 2400 baud modems on our MicroVAX,
> and with both the machine would crank out the same errors
> ("dhu0, line0: recv. fifo overflow").
> One night the system console ran through about 100 pages of paper while
> printing error messages before the paper jammed.

> The modem lights rd and sd were on constantly when we got these errors, too.

> We replaced the 2400 baud modem with a Telebit T2500, and we have not
> seen the trouble since.
> --
> Guy Helmer
> work: DSU Computing Services, Business & Education Institute    (605) 256-5315
> play: MidIX System Support Services                             (605) 256-2788
> dsuvax!ghelmer@cs.utexas.edu, ...!bigtex!loft386!dsuvax!ghelmer

We have a problem like yours, we have a VAX 6310 running Ultrix 3.0, and if we
put some modems in the serial ports then a while later the machine completly
hangs.

 IS THIS FROM ULTRIX  ??????
              ^^^^^^

 We ask to our DEC representants and just said tha we must change our version
to ULTRIX 3.1, then we receive the upgrade, but it doesn't works (a sintax
error when compiling the new Kernel, so we can't build the new  Kernel), the
problem is in the gfs_data.c archive, we told them and just send  us
a new copy of it that doesn't works either.

  Help me please......!!!!

 Thanks !
Atte.

Jose A. Vela Avila.
josevela@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx

rauletta@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (R. J. Auletta) (09/01/90)

In article <JOSEVELA.90Aug31232154@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx> josevela@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (Jose Angel Vela Avila) writes:

>> In <2039@gmuvax2.gmu.edu> rauletta@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (R. J. Auletta) writes:
>
>>>the following errors are reported on the console and by uerf
>>>occasionally after a dialin session is terminated.
>
>>>MESSAGE                                 dhu1, line4: recv. fifo overflow
>
>> We've had a couple of different 2400 baud modems on our MicroVAX,
>> and with both the machine would crank out the same errors
>> ("dhu0, line0: recv. fifo overflow").
>
>We have a problem like yours, we have a VAX 6310 running Ultrix 3.0, and if we

My original posting was in error. I thought I had set the configuration
for the Hayes modems such that it would not echo commands (ATE0)
but I had in fact not (ATE1), though I remember quite clearly doing
so. I have every reason to believe this was the problem.
(I thought I had already fixed it, so when it happen again....)

So now the modem is completely quiet waiting for a dial-in, with
tip setting it so it generates the necessary responses.

I am still curious though about the meaning of the fifo error, why
it is so important, and why some errors messages (from the kernel?)
are not buffered to the console (polled character I/O?).
This problem use to crop up with NFS errors. For the 5 seconds it
would take to print the error out at 30cps on a decwriter
the kernel would hold the processor, then give you about a second
to "do something" before the next error.

--R J Auletta