[comp.unix.ultrix] HELP!!! Version 2

bemery@nmsu.edu (Bryan Emery) (09/11/90)

This is concerning my second attempt at backing up my user files before I
attempted to install Ultrix 4.0.

I used the tar command as follows to create what I thought was one archive:
  tar c /usr/users
      this was to backup user files on my RZ55 disk.
At the completion of that, I did:
  tar r /usr2
      which I understood to mean that those files would be 'added' to the
      existing archive.

Now, after Ultrix 4.0 is installed, I do:
  tar xv
or
  tar tv
and get all the files from /usr/users and then get an error:
  tar: ioctl MTBSF failed -4:  I/O Error

Strange thing is, if I do:
  cp /dev/nrmt0h backup.tar
I get a file that is about 64 megabytes big.  When I then do:
  tar tf backup.tar
I only see maybe 10 files out of /usr/users.  However, if I do:
  more backup.tar
and move down through the file, I can "see" some of my filenames that I need
to get.

Any suggestions???

Bryan Emery

In article <136@opus.NMSU.Edu> bemery@nmsu.edu (Bryan Emery) writes:
> This is concerning my second attempt at backing up my user files before I
> attempted to install Ultrix 4.0.
>
> I used the tar command as follows to create what I thought was one archive:
>   tar c /usr/users
> At the completion of that, I did:
>   tar r /usr2
>       which I understood to mean that those files would be 'added' to the
>       existing archive.

That's what it's supposed to mean, but it looks like you've been screwed over.

> Strange thing is, if I do:
>   cp /dev/nrmt0h backup.tar
> I get a file that is about 64 megabytes big.  When I then do:
>   tar tf backup.tar
> I only see maybe 10 files out of /usr/users.  However, if I do:
>   more backup.tar
> and move down through the file, I can "see" some of my filenames that I need
> to get.

There's no particular promise that cp will use the appropriate blocksize
to suck in the tape image.  Try using "dd if=/dev/nrmt0 bs=20b of=disk.file"
which will, then using "tar tf disk.file" and see if you get any better
results.

> Any suggestions???

If you get really desparart you can play with gnu tar, which may be a little
more flexible about recoving most of what appears as a corrupted tape.

Also, you neglect to mention what kind of tape you are using, is it DECish
or some third party device (Exabyte?) that doesn't backspace too well?