[comp.unix.ultrix] News 2.11.19 on Ultrix 4.0???

rainwatr@ucunix.san.uc.edu (Don Rainwater) (09/12/90)

Has anyone built News 2.11.19 (V2.11, patchlevel 19 B news) under Ultrix
4.0?  Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I used the localize.v7 file
as a base, and added the required lines for NNTP to it as described in
localize.nntp.  I want my machine to run full news software, receiving
news via NNTP, and also feeding two other machines.

Except for some problems with NNTP (which I've temporarily taped
together), this is all working okay now, except that I'm on old versions
of the software (NNTP 1.5 and News 2.11.14).  I'd like to go ahead and
build 2.11.19 news and 1.5.10 NNTP if I can, but I can't even REBUILD my
existing versions!  An example of the kind of things I'm encountering
is that I can't compile the file rfuncs2.c because it doesn't like
having fileno(fp) on the lhs of an assignment operator.  (The offending
lines are 314 and 316 in this file, if you're interested.  314 is
something like "fileno(fp) = -1;" and 316 is "fileno(fp) = fno;")

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!  Am I doing something wrong or
is there a problem with Ultrix 4.0???  Thanks in advance.

In article <421@ucunix.SAN.UC.EDU> rainwatr@ucunix.san.uc.edu (Don Rainwater) writes:
> I can't compile the file rfuncs2.c because it doesn't like
> having fileno(fp) on the lhs of an assignment operator.  (The offending
> lines are 314 and 316 in this file, if you're interested.  314 is
> something like "fileno(fp) = -1;" and 316 is "fileno(fp) = fno;")
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!  Am I doing something wrong or
> is there a problem with Ultrix 4.0???  Thanks in advance.

There's nothing wrong with Ultrix in this case, the fileno()= is perversion
that only "works" if fileno() is a macro, which it certainly isn't guaranteed
to be.  I've heard this one before and I think the fix to the source turns
out to be fairly simple. (but don't ask me)

envbvs@epb2.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) (09/12/90)

Rainwater) writes:
|> > I can't compile the file rfuncs2.c because it doesn't like
|> > having fileno(fp) on the lhs of an assignment operator.  (The
offending
|> > lines are 314 and 316 in this file, if you're interested.  314 is
|> > something like "fileno(fp) = -1;" and 316 is "fileno(fp) = fno;")
|> >
|> > Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!  Am I doing something
wrong or
|> > is there a problem with Ultrix 4.0???  Thanks in advance.
|>
|> There's nothing wrong with Ultrix in this case, the fileno()= is
perversion
|> that only "works" if fileno() is a macro, which it certainly isn't
guaranteed
|> to be.  I've heard this one before and I think the fix to the source
turns
|> out to be fairly simple. (but don't ask me)

The fix is to use the form "fp->_file = -1;" and "fp->_file = fno;"

--
Brian V. Smith    (bvsmith@lbl.gov)
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory