[comp.unix.ultrix] Will a DS5000/200CX run Ultrix 3.1c?

fnddr@acad3.fai.alaska.edu (Rice Don D) (09/13/90)

A sub-dilemma to the previously posted problems: it seems only Ultrix 3.1c
is available for us to boot from.  It has been suggested to me that 3.1d was
shipped with the first DS5000s because they won't run with earlier releases.
I hope that's false, or we are up the creek without an OS.  Has anyone been
crazy/desperate enough to try it?

Don Rice                                  Internet: fnddr@acad3.fai.alaska.edu
Geophysical Institute                     E-mail:   fnddr@alaska.bitnet
University of Alaska                      Phone:    (907) 474-7569
Fairbanks, AK 99775                       Loran:    64.86N 212.16E

alan@shodha.enet.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) (09/14/90)

In article <1990Sep13.003710.7777@hayes.fai.alaska.edu>, fnddr@acad3.fai.alaska.edu (Rice Don D) writes:
> A sub-dilemma to the previously posted problems: it seems only Ultrix 3.1c
> is available for us to boot from.  It has been suggested to me that 3.1d was
> shipped with the first DS5000s because they won't run with earlier releases.
> I hope that's false, or we are up the creek without an OS.  Has anyone been
> crazy/desperate enough to try it?

	I suspect that V3.1C won't have the slightest idea what a
	DECstation 5000 is.  What the V3.1{A,B,C,D} varients did
	and did not support was pretty confusing, but I think that
	V3.1C didn't have any workstation support in it at all (or
	very little).

	I think it went like this:

		V3.1A - DECsystem 5800 Support (or DECsystem 5400
			support) later merged with V3.1C.
		V3.1B - VAX 6000-400 Support
		V3.1C - DECsystem 5400 Support.
		V3.1D - DECstation and DECsystem 5000-200 Support
			(with support for the DECstation 3100 and
			DECstation 2100 along for the ride).

--
Alan Rollow				alan@nabeth.enet.dec.com

mellon@fenris.pa.dec.com (Ted Lemon) (09/14/90)

Ultrix 3.1C was released before development even began on the DS5000
drivers.   The answer to your question is that there is no hope of
getting 3.1C running on a DS5000.

			       _MelloN_