[comp.unix.ultrix] Does your /usr/bin/csh grow and die under Ultrix 3.1C?

D. Allen [CGL]) (09/13/90)

Every now and then someone's csh loops, eats all the memory on the machine,
and dies.  This most often happens when logging in, when the .cshrc/.login
is being processed.  Anyone else seen this?  DS5400, Ultrix 3.1C.

brister@decwrl.dec.com (James Brister) (09/13/90)

On 13 Sep 90 14:37:16 GMT, root@watcgl.uwaterloo.ca (Ian! D. Allen [CGL]) said:

> Every now and then someone's csh loops, eats all the memory on the machine,
> and dies.  This most often happens when logging in, when the .cshrc/.login
> is being processed.  Anyone else seen this?  DS5400, Ultrix 3.1C.

Check for echoing of control characters in your .login and/or .cshrc. I
made an aliases that echoed a control character string to set the window
title. When I ran the aliases csh did just what you described.

James

--
James Brister                                           brister@decwrl.dec.com
DEC Western Software Lab., Palo Alto, California.         .....!decwrl!brister

In article <9009131437.AA17137@watcgl.waterloo.edu> root@watcgl.uwaterloo.ca (Ian! D. Allen [CGL]) writes:
> Every now and then someone's csh loops, eats all the memory on the machine,
> and dies.  This most often happens when logging in, when the .cshrc/.login
> is being processed.  Anyone else seen this?  DS5400, Ultrix 3.1C.

The csh distributed with 3.1C is more or less what used to be /usr/new/csh,
but with some bugs added that evoke the behavoir that you describe.  There
are patches available for 3.1C that replace this csh with a more traditional
one, which you should install.

If you've already received the 4.0 distribution, but haven't installed it
yet, another alternative is to extract the 4.0 csh, which seems to work
just fine under 3.1C...  Likewise you can install one from one of the older
risc ultrix/uws releases if you don't care about command recall, etc.