[comp.unix.ultrix] Ultrix upgrade from file instead of tape

eric@geology.tn.cornell.edu (Eric Fielding) (09/13/90)

Is there a way to run 'setld' to install upgrades to Ultrix from a file instead
of a tape? We have a DECstation 3100 that has no TK-50, but we can read TK-50's
on our VMS machine and copy the files over. We have done this for other kinds of
'tar' files, but I don't see how to do it for the special 'setld' files.

				++Eric Fielding
eric@geology.tn.cornell.edu
eric@crnlthry.bitnet

devin@gandalf.Colorado.EDU (Yampalimardilor) (09/14/90)

In article <1990Sep13.111450@geology.tn.cornell.edu>,
eric@geology.tn.cornell.edu (Eric Fielding) writes:
|> Is there a way to run 'setld' to install upgrades to Ultrix from a
file instead
|> of a tape? We have a DECstation 3100 that has no TK-50, but we can
read TK-50's
|> on our VMS machine and copy the files over. We have done this for
other kinds of
|> 'tar' files, but I don't see how to do it for the special 'setld' files.
|>
|> 				++Eric Fielding
|> eric@geology.tn.cornell.edu
|> eric@crnlthry.bitnet

Do a setld -x on the machine with a tape.  Copy those files into
the DECstation (tapeless).  Or mount that drive, if you can.  Then
say setld -l /directory/that/I/copied/into.  Don't put more than one
tape set (I.E. supported subsets, unsupported subsets, etc) in any
particular directory, and make sure to copy the entire directory tree
that setld creates.

	-Devin
* Yampalimardilor          *     a.k.a Devin Hooker (RP90) DoD # 0034 *
* Mage School, Glantri     *           University of Colorado-Boulder *
* (Master of Movement)     *           (Undergrad Student)            *

In article <1990Sep13.111450@geology.tn.cornell.edu> eric@geology.tn.cornell.edu writes:
> Is there a way to run 'setld' to install upgrades to Ultrix from a file instead
> of a tape? We have a DECstation 3100 that has no TK-50, but we can read TK-50's
> on our VMS machine and copy the files over. We have done this for other kinds of
> 'tar' files, but I don't see how to do it for the special 'setld' files.
>
> 				++Eric Fielding

Yes, but you have to prepare the files to look more or less look like the
way that Ultrix is distributed on disk media.  Not a whole lot of fun,
although there is a whole section in the manual set on setld.  Much easier
to "borrow" a TK50 off some other workstation.