[comp.unix.ultrix] Ultrix versions / X-fonts

perand@admin.kth.se (Per Andersson) (09/16/90)

I have two problems. The first is that I don't understand how Ultrix is
numbered. Everybody is talking about V4.0 - but it seems to be VAX only.
So what is it on the risc machine, and how does both relate to what seems
to be called 'workstation software'. I would like to get the Athena stuff
for a decstation 3100 to begin with.

Also - does anybody know what parameters I should give to the fontcompiler
when compiling .bdf fonts for:
1. Decstation (UWS2.1, UWS2.2)
2. Vaxstation (Whatever,Ultrix&VMS)
3. VT1000     (This is what I personally use)

One key problem is that I want to get OpenLook/OpenWindows fonts on the
VT1000, using either the dec/ultrix or vax/vms as fontserver.

Happy for any suggestions.
Per
--
Per Andersson (perand@admin.kth.se, perand@stacken.kth.se)
Trying a new job at Bofors Electronics,

evans@decvax.dec.com (Marc Evans) (09/17/90)

In article <1990Sep16.163546.21839@kth.se>, perand@admin.kth.se (Per
Andersson) writes:

|> I have two problems. The first is that I don't understand how Ultrix
is
|> numbered. Everybody is talking about V4.0 - but it seems to be VAX
only.
|> So what is it on the risc machine, and how does both relate to what
seems
|> to be called 'workstation software'. I would like to get the Athena
stuff
|> for a decstation 3100 to begin with.

ULTRIX V4.0 is available for both VAX and MIPS (RISC) based platforms.
The UWS
or 'workstation software' that you speak of is the pieces needed to be
able to
run a graphics workstation. Without the UWS pieces, you only have a
compute/server
box. As far as Athena stuff, which pieces do you desire? X
widgets/libraries?
Security extensions? Nifty file systems?

|> Also - does anybody know what parameters I should give to the
fontcompiler
|> when compiling .bdf fonts for:
|> 1. Decstation (UWS2.1, UWS2.2)
|> 2. Vaxstation (Whatever,Ultrix&VMS)
|> 3. VT1000     (This is what I personally use)

	1 and 2:	dxfc <foo.bdf >foo.pcf
			mv foo.pcf /usr/lib/X11/fonts/.../foo.pcf
			dxmkfontdir /usr/lib/X11/fonts/...

	3: I don't know. However, I don't believe that the VT1000 is supported
	   by ULTRIX.

|> One key problem is that I want to get OpenLook/OpenWindows fonts on
the
|> VT1000, using either the dec/ultrix or vax/vms as fontserver.

VMS is probably your best bet.

- Marc

====
Marc Evans - WB1GRH - evans@decvax.DEC.COM  | Synergytics
(603)635-8876
      Unix and X Software Contractor        | 21 Hinds Ln, Pelham, NH
03076
====

oberman@rogue.llnl.gov (09/18/90)

In article <1990Sep16.163546.21839@kth.se>, perand@admin.kth.se (Per Andersson) writes:

> I have two problems. The first is that I don't understand how Ultrix is
> numbered. Everybody is talking about V4.0 - but it seems to be VAX only.
> So what is it on the risc machine, and how does both relate to what seems
> to be called 'workstation software'. I would like to get the Athena stuff
> for a decstation 3100 to begin with.

No, V4.0 is for both VAX and RISC boxes. They are different versions, but both
are out and I have my DECstations running V4.0 right now.

The numbering was VERY confused. UWS V2.2 was Ultrix 3.1. Huh? But...

It looks like the numbers have now been linked and V4.0 covers everything. My
tapes are labeled "AQ-PBJRB-BE Ultrix/UWS v4.0 (RISC)". V4.0 includes Kerberos
and maybe Hesiod (sp?). Kerbreos is fully supported. I think that the Xlib is
still at X11R3.

					R. Kevin Oberman
					Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
					Internet: oberman@icdc.llnl.gov
   					(415) 422-6955

Disclaimer: Don't take this too seriously. I just like to improve my typing
and probably don't really know anything useful about anything.