[comp.unix.ultrix] REPOST: DS5000, Ultrix and UUCP

jv@mh.nl (Johan Vromans) (09/20/90)

Let's refrase my question.

Given:	DECsystem5000/200, Ultrix V4, one telephone line connected to
	one T2500 trailblazer modem.

Asked:	What do I need to use the modem connection from the Ultrix system,
        for both dial-in and dial-out. Communication will be UUCP.

Not acceptable: a one-cpu-interrupt-per-incoming-character interface
	since it will bring the system on its knees.

I'll summarize as soon as I have the solution up and running on my
system.

	Johan
--
Johan Vromans				       jv@mh.nl via internet backbones
Multihouse Automatisering bv		       uucp: ..!{uunet,hp4nl}!mh.nl!jv

In article <1990Sep20.094550.23236@squirrel.mh.nl> Johan Vromans <jv@mh.nl> writes:

> Let's refrase my question.
>
> Given: DECsystem5000/200, Ultrix V4, one telephone line connected to
> 	one T2500 trailblazer modem.
>
> Asked: What do I need to use the modem connection from the Ultrix system,
>         for both dial-in and dial-out. Communication will be UUCP.
>
> Not acceptable: a one-cpu-interrupt-per-incoming-character interface
> 	since it will bring the system on its knees.

This may be a supid question, but have you tried connecting the modem up
to the serial port and seeing just how bad it really is?  A world of Sun's
less powerful than the DS5000 manage some how...