[comp.unix.ultrix] Problem with printer??

kbesrl@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (09/25/90)

Hello,
I have been unable to print on my line printer after I moved to Ultrix 4.0
from 3.1.  The status message reads "no daemon present".  The error log file
reads:
/usr/lib/lpd: lp: cannot open /dev/lp0 ()
I changed the protection on /dev/lp0, but it didn't help.
Can somebody help me out?
Thanks.
-- sudha@kbesrl.me.uiuc.edu

thomas@mipsbx.lkg.dec.com (Matt Thomas) (09/25/90)

In article <22100016@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> kbesrl@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>Hello,
>I have been unable to print on my line printer after I moved to Ultrix 4.0
>from 3.1.  The status message reads "no daemon present".  The error log file
>reads:
>/usr/lib/lpd: lp: cannot open /dev/lp0 ()
>I changed the protection on /dev/lp0, but it didn't help.

What does (as root) "cp /etc/printcap /dev/lp0" do?
What's the output of "ls -lg /dev/lp0"
What type of device is it supposed to be?

Matt Thomas                     Internet:   thomas@wrl.dec.com
DECnet-ULTRIX Development       UUCP:       ...!decwrl!thomas
Digital Equipment Corporation   Disclaimer: This message reflects my own
Littleton, MA                               warped views, etc.