[comp.unix.ultrix] ok, what am I doing wrong?

sob@harvisr.harvard.edu (Scott Bradner) (09/25/90)

I'm sure this has shown up before while I was not looking at this newsgroup
but ...

When I try and remake the kernel on the version of Ultrix 4.0 I get an
unresolved global.

	Undefined:
	lock_kmtbsync_d

I don't think I'm requesting any bisync drivers (the config file is just
whatever the install shell came up with) any ideas what is going on?
(or, more to the point, what do I do to get around it?)

Scott

> but ...
>
> When I try and remake the kernel on the version of Ultrix 4.0 I get an
> unresolved global.
>
> 	Undefined:
> 	lock_kmtbsync_d
>
> I don't think I'm requesting any bisync drivers (the config file is just
> whatever the install shell came up with) any ideas what is going on?
> (or, more to the point, what do I do to get around it?)

Hard to say, lock_kmtbsync_d seems to be reference by km_alloc.o, and
defined in another binary, so it's not obvious what's screwed up.

I'd suggest trying a "make clean ; make depend ; make vmunix" for just
blowing away the /sys/MIPS/yoursystem directory and doing the config
again...

thomas@mipsbx.lkg.dec.com (Matt Thomas) (09/25/90)

In article <4252@husc6.harvard.edu> sob@harvisr.UUCP (Scott Bradner) writes:
>When I try and remake the kernel on the version of Ultrix 4.0 I get an
>unresolved global.
>	Undefined:
>	lock_kmtbsync_d
>I don't think I'm requesting any bisync drivers (the config file is just
>whatever the install shell came up with) any ideas what is going on?
>(or, more to the point, what do I do to get around it?)

You installed the V4.0 MUP and then tried to rebuild your kernel without
doing a make clean first.  Since tar preserves dates, when the kernel
binary subset was restored it through off the dependencies for make.
You will need reset them by doing a make clean.
Matt Thomas                     Internet:   thomas@wrl.dec.com
DECnet-ULTRIX Development       UUCP:       ...!decwrl!thomas
Digital Equipment Corporation   Disclaimer: This message reflects my own
Littleton, MA                               warped views, etc.