[net.micro] HP 110 Query

tweten@AMES-NAS.ARPA (Dave Tweten) (08/14/85)

From: Keith Dale <kdale@minet-vhn-em.arpa>

	I am looking seriously into  getting  an  HP110  laptop
	portable  for personal  use.

	4) Should I consider any other laptop?  DG/1, or Sharp
	   5000 for instance?

I think you should at least look at the Grid Systems laptop.  My wife
brought a loaner home for the weekend (her employer has one on order).
Very nice.  It had sockets for ROM software, a 1.2 Mb diskette built
in, removable rechargables, cigarette lighter plug, or step-down power
supply/recharger.  It also came with an outboard DS/DD 5.25" floppy
drive, and a built-in modem.  The loaner had LCD (none seem to be
good), but her employer had ordered a gas discharge display.

Ghenis.pasa@XEROX.ARPA (08/15/85)

Also take a look at the Visual and Morrow lap-tops. They are both MS-DOS
systems with the very nice feature of having built-in 5 1/4" drives
instead of 3 1/2", for extra compatibility. The new models have back-lit
LCD screens.
Good luck.

peter@baylor.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (08/17/85)

> Also take a look at the Visual and Morrow lap-tops. They are both MS-DOS
> systems with the very nice feature of having built-in 5 1/4" drives
> instead of 3 1/2", for extra compatibility. The new models have back-lit
> LCD screens.
> Good luck.

I looked for a 5.25" system, and gave up. I wouldn't give up my nice big
reliable robust 3.5" drives for anything, now. For a portable machine, now
that 3.5" drives are becoming popular, 5.25" drives are a dea loss.

Beware, though. DG-1 and Kaypro 2000 use the same format on their 3.5" drives.
HP uses something diffeerent. I don't know about the others but given HP's
track record for (in) compatibility I'd avoid them.

I also wouldn't want a backlit LCD screen. The new LCD screens are readable
enough anyway, and can you say "power hog"?
--
	Peter da Silva (the mad Australian werewolf)
		UUCP: ...!shell!neuro1!{hyd-ptd,baylor,datafac}!peter

jabusch@uiucdcsb.Uiuc.ARPA (08/22/85)

	My office recently purchased a GridCase 2.  It's a very nice
machine, but exhorbitantly expensive for the individual.  It has:
	Internal 3.5 inch 730Kb floppy drive
	RGB video output with DB-9 connector (just like standard IBM
		color monitor adapter, works very well)
	512Kb RAM
	8087
	internal modem (Hayes compatible)
	serial port
	parallel port
	bus connector
	serial cable for PCMaster/PCSlave software use
	battery pack good for 4 to 6 hours
	AC adapter
	IBM-style keyboard plug to allow connection of standard IBM keyboard
	MS-DOS on ROM, takes all of 15 seconds to boot

	We also have on order the external base station, 5.25 inch floppy
and 5.25 inch hard disk.
	My impression (if you're interested) is good.  It's very nicely
finished.  Magnesium case, done with textured paint that withstands
scratching pretty well.  PCMaster/PCSlave software allows hookup to IBM
PC-compatible, and gives the Grid the ability to use the IBM's disks, etc.
Keyboard is not the greatest, but have yet to meet a portable that has a
really nice one.  All key functions have been mapped and work well, as near
as I can tell.  Disk drives are slow, due to the manner in which DOS sees
them.  Apparently, DOS is fooled into thinking that each disk is actually
two of the usual 360Kb disks, and things are slowed down slightly.  The
display isn't bad for an LCD.  Actually, it's easier to read than the
Data General 1 that I've seen.  The plasma screem, which is not yet
available, would be far superior.  Grid does allow upgrade to the plasma
screen later for the price difference, from what the rep told me.  I
have used WordPerfect 4.0 (IBM PC version, not generic MS-DOS) on it,
along with Crosstalk, PC-Write, Savvy PC, various public domain programs,
AutoCAD 2.17, and Turbo Pascal.  Have yet to experience difficulties,
except that our Mouse Systems Mouse wouldn't work.

	Now for the bad news.  The price for the system we have, which
is approx. 20% below retail, is over $4500.  By the time we finish, it
will be in the $9000 range.  Reason?  The 10Mb hard disk costs $2200
retail.  Not your average personal portable price range!
	But to add the hard disk and the 5.25" floppy, you have to get
the base station, which connects to the Grid bus.  Then the disk drives
sit on top of it and connect through their chassis, without extra
cabling.  PCMaster/PCSlave works well, but is very slow.  Have yet to do
extensive testing, but the Grid seems well suited to travel and heavy use
and it only weighs 12 pounds, by far easier to carry than the Compaq-
type machines.

<I'm not connected with Grid in any way.>
John W. Jabusch