[comp.unix.ultrix] DECsystem 5800 with 2 processors slower than with 1?

mf@ircam.ircam.fr (Michel Fingerhut) (09/26/90)

We noticed a significant slow-down of our 5820 (bi-processor 5800) in
response time after upgrading from Ultrix 3.1 (which supports a single
processor) to Ultrix 4.0 (whose "kernel has been enhanced to support
multiple processors executing kernel code").

The local DEC support's reply to my call was that it was a known
"problem" and their advice was to turn off the  2nd CPU until a fix is
found.

I did this, and lo and behold, "ls" runs so much faster... I wonder if by
turning the remaining CPU off I'll get the computing power DEC claims for
the DS5820.

rosenblg@cmcl2.NYU.EDU (Gary J. Rosenblum) (09/27/90)

I haven't had that problem on my 5820 with Ultrix 4.0.  I timed an
ls in a HUGE directory with both cpu's on, and then with one off,
and the times were comparable.

Did the DEC people give you any indication as to the problem (or a
patch to 4.0?)

					Gary

ndoduc@framentec.fr (Nhuan Doduc) (09/27/90)

In <1990Sep26.151338.14480@ircam.ircam.fr> mf@ircam.ircam.fr (Michel Fingerhut) writes:
>I did this, and lo and behold, "ls" runs so much faster... I wonder if by
>turning the remaining CPU off I'll get the computing power DEC claims for
>the DS5820.

You have 2 proc. you shut off 1 and get (my interpretation) twice (faster)
My deduction is that if you shut down the remaining then the computing power
would be infinitely faster.
Hey look at this: 1 / half = twice
                  1 / zero = infinity
CQFD

--nh
Nhuan DODUC,
Framentec-Cognitech, Paris, France, ndoduc@framentec.fr or ndoduc@cognitech.fr,
Association Francaise des Utilisateurs d'Unix, France, doduc@afuu.fr

mf@ircam.ircam.fr (Michel Fingerhut) (09/28/90)

It is really weird, then.  The 5820 is *definitely* slower with 2 cpus.  For
instance, an "ls -l" of a local (i.e., non-NFS) directory containing 3 files
and one sub-directory, on a machine with 2 users, takes 4-5 seconds (would
you believe it).  With one cpu off, it's instantaneous (what would happen
with the second cpu off I wonder).

DEC told me that it was a KNOWN problem, that they had experienced it too.
So maybe it's a "feature" for Ultrix sent to non-US places?

Moreover, they added that the CPU(s) and the disks (RA90) required some patches
to the firmware which would not solve the problem, but which were required
under Ultrix 4.0.

Finally, one person at DEC told me that the 58n0 was not a success, being a
bastardized machine in between VAXen and MIPS, expensive and slow.  That person
added that while benchmarks on the 5000 and the 5400 had shown even better
results than predicted, it was definitely not the case on the 58n0.

I'd be very interested in any experience (positive or negative) people in
netland could report to me (and my direction).

Thanks in advance...!