[comp.unix.ultrix] Tuning DECsystem 5820 + Ultrix 4.0???

mf@ircam.ircam.fr (Michel Fingerhut) (09/26/90)

Dear world,

We upgraded a couple of days ago from 3.1 to 4.0.  Although the process
itself was trivial (a matter of hours), the machine appears to be twice
as slow, although it should be somewhat faster, since 4.0 should make
use of both CPUs (and they are configured in, and started at boot time).
Actually, my feeling is that it is YP and/or NFS accesses that tremendously
slow the system (based on the fact that "ls -l" seems MUCH slower --
retrieval of login/group names?).  Since we did not change anything yet
from 3.1 (in the YP setup), I am puzzled.

Any pointers that might help me?

Thanks in advance,
Michael Fingerhut

pavlov@canisius.UUCP (Greg Pavlov) (09/30/90)

In article <1990Sep26.095834.3744@ircam.ircam.fr>, mf@ircam.ircam.fr (Michel Fingerhut) writes:
> Dear world,
>
> We upgraded [a DEC 5820 ] a couple of days ago from 3.1 to 4.0.  Although
> the process > itself was trivial ..., the machine appears to be twice
> as slow, although it should be somewhat faster, since 4.0 should make
> use of both CPUs ....

  There have been several articles in the computer press here about problems
  with the 58{234}0 under ULTRIX 4.0 .  E.g., multiprocessor support aint
  what it is supposed to be.  I would push DEC for a refund on the extra cpu
  (maybe the whole machine...)

  greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny
  pavlov@stewart.fstrf.org