[comp.unix.ultrix] calendar, egrep, and unmonitored reads

castor@embezzle.stanford.edu (Castor Fu) (09/29/90)

I discovered today, (maybe you did to. . . . ) that the stock
egrep on ultrix 3.1 has a small (256??) limit on it's pattern buffer.

Normally this is not a huge problem, but today, calendar generated
388 characters of patterns and egrep managed to stomp on itself in
a way which caused it to use memory until it exhausted itself.

Hopefully no one has egrep running in some setuid shellscript where
the pattern file is mungable. . . . .

I guess I will modify calendar to use GNU egrep. . . .

	castor fu
	castor@fizzle.stanford.edu

kbesrl@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Jim Thompson ) (09/29/90)

castor@embezzle.stanford.edu (Castor Fu) writes:

>I discovered today, (maybe you did to. . . . ) that the stock
>egrep on ultrix 3.1 has a small (256??) limit on it's pattern buffer.

>Normally this is not a huge problem, but today, calendar generated
>388 characters of patterns and egrep managed to stomp on itself in
>a way which caused it to use memory until it exhausted itself.

>Hopefully no one has egrep running in some setuid shellscript where
>the pattern file is mungable. . . . .

>I guess I will modify calendar to use GNU egrep. . . .

>	castor fu
>	castor@fizzle.stanford.edu

I discovered the same problem today. If you find a solution,
please let me know.
Thanks.
-- sudha@kbesrl.me.uiuc.edu

In article <1990Sep29.031633.5070@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> kbesrl@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Jim Thompson ) writes:
> castor@embezzle.stanford.edu (Castor Fu) writes:
>
> >I discovered today, (maybe you did to. . . . ) that the stock
> >egrep on ultrix 3.1 has a small (256??) limit on it's pattern buffer.

This was something that was broken by attempts to make Ultrix 3.x regular
expression processing 8-bit clean.  It is supposedly fixed in Ultrix 4.0.
I don't know if a patch was ever made available for Ultrix 3.x.