[comp.unix.ultrix] ANy joy with 3rd party SCSI disks on DS3100?

ggm@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au (George Michaelson) (09/25/90)

I've just tried plugging a Fujitsu 2263SA 600Mb drive into my DS3100.

After downgrading the thing to SCSI I it passed test -c ok.

when I booted vmunix it hung the kernel probing the rz devices.

It also had to be SCSI device 0 to not hog the bus, irrespective of
internal jumper settings.

-Has anybody got any comments on getting this or other 3rd party drives
to work on a DS3100? It is known to work on the MIPS M120.

	-George

--
	G.Michaelson
Internet: G.Michaelson@cc.uq.oz.au                     Phone: +61 7 377 4079

In article <1990Sep25.083654.9716@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au> ggm@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au (George Michaelson) writes:

> I've just tried plugging a Fujitsu 2263SA 600Mb drive into my DS3100.
> After downgrading the thing to SCSI I it passed test -c ok.
> when I booted vmunix it hung the kernel probing the rz devices.
>
> It also had to be SCSI device 0 to not hog the bus, irrespective of
> internal jumper settings.

I'm not sure what you mean by "hog the bus" - I doesn't sound like you're
getting enough action to judge this.  Are you booting from some other
drive temporarily change to unix number X?  If so, can you get the system
up without the new drive installed?  You may have to change your config
file as far as where root/swap/dump live (or use the generic kernel (maybe)).

Have you gotten the drive to work as some other unit, with probing
and newfs and all that?

You might have to create an appropriate SCSI device entry to match the
drive ID info in /sys/data/scsi_data.c, it might be a problem with some
of those magic option bits.

> -Has anybody got any comments on getting this or other 3rd party drives
> to work on a DS3100? It is known to work on the MIPS M120.

I recently plugged a pair of Conner CP3200's (200 MB each) into my pet
DS3100.  Not too surprisingly (DEC uses Conner drives w/DEC ID's), they
worked without any problems, even with the default SCSI device description.

Does anybody know the DEC part number for the internal drive mounting
brackets, or a third party source that will sell just the brackets?

rwa@cs.athabascau.ca (Ross Alexander) (09/26/90)

About putting SCSI drives onto a DS[23]100 - I just stuck an AT&T DM300S
(which is really an HP 97536T) and an Exabyte EXB-8200 onto my DS2100
running Ultrix 4.0 (plus mandatory patch).  It all just worked the
first time.  DEC, take a bow :-)

Ross Alexander    rwa@cs.athabascau.ca    (403) 675 6311    ve6pdq

ggm@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au (George Michaelson) (09/26/90)

grr@cbmvax.commodore.com (George Robbins) writes:
>In article <1990Sep25.083654.9716@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au>
	ggm@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au (George Michaelson) writes:

>I'm not sure what you mean by "hog the bus" - I doesn't sound like you're
>getting enough action to judge this.  Are you booting from some other
>drive temporarily change to unix number X?  If so, can you get the system
>up without the new drive installed?  You may have to change your config
>file as far as where root/swap/dump live (or use the generic kernel (maybe)).

If the device is switched on, and you boot rz(0,4)vmunix off the rz55,
irrespective of what the SCSI daisychain number of the drive was, the
kernel hung during the "device probe" phase. After approx 15 sec the
drive could be heard to do a SCSI reset.

I agree "hog the bus" was misleading but with most of the jumper/switch
settings we tried, when the disk was anywhere but SCSI slot 0 it would
respond to a test -c once, and then its green "I have the bus" light would
stay on and thereafter test -c reported NO attached devices.
Not even the CPU on slot 6!!

>Have you gotten the drive to work as some other unit, with probing
>and newfs and all that?

no because You cannot "see" a device that is not switched on during
kernel boot phase, and I cannot boot a kernel with the device switched on.

>You might have to create an appropriate SCSI device entry to match the
>drive ID info in /sys/data/scsi_data.c, it might be a problem with some
>of those magic option bits.

I have been sent an appropriate scsi_data.c by somebody in Switzerland.
Im hoping to try it this afternoon but I think he should take the "glory"
if it works & post the details, not me!

	George
--

braun@dri.com (Kral) (09/26/90)

In article <1990Sep25.083654.9716@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au> ggm@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au (George Michaelson) writes:

>I've just tried plugging a Fujitsu 2263SA 600Mb drive into my DS3100.
>
>-Has anybody got any comments on getting this or other 3rd party drives
>to work on a DS3100? It is known to work on the MIPS M120.

Myself and one other customer in this area have MV3100's; we both started out
with 2263S's as external SCSI drives.  We discovered a cacheing bug in the
drive's ROM which corrupted disk data (exact circumstances unknown).  We were
running Ultrix 3.x, the other guy was running VMS, presumable 5.x.  Fuji claims
to have a fix in a ROM upgrade.  However, I gave back the drives and went for
RZ56s, so I can't say whether this really fixed the problem.

--
kral * 408/647-6112 *               ...!uunet!drivax!braun * braun@dri.com
That which does not kill us Makes us stronger - Nietzche

loganj@yvax.byu.edu (09/28/90)

> -Has anybody got any comments on getting this or other 3rd party drives
> to work on a DS3100? It is known to work on the MIPS M120.

We have two DS3100's booting from 600 MB HP (HP97548) drives and two other
DS3100's booting from 1.2 GB HP (HP97549) drives.  These are SCSI drives
with five year warranties.  So far we haven't had any problems.

We obtained the 600 MB HP97548 drives for $2835 and the 1.2GB HP97549 for
$3735 from Anthem Electronics of Salt Lake City, phone (801) 973-8555.

Regards,
jim
loganj@yvax.byu.edu
loganj@byuvax.bitnet

bernerus@utcrt2.utc.chalmers.se (Christer Bernerus) (09/28/90)

We have 2 Fuji's running on our DS3100, the thing to do is to disable
syncronous SCSI on the disk. Then Ultrix boots fine here.

Chris.

rsk@oldfield.tmc.edu (Rich Kulawiec) (09/28/90)

In article <1990Sep25.083654.9716@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au> ggm@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au (George Michaelson) writes:
>-Has anybody got any comments on getting this or other 3rd party drives
>to work on a DS3100? It is known to work on the MIPS M120.

I've got four DS3100's connected to CDC Wren V's; in fact one of them
has four of these drives plus an exabyte.  Works like a champ.

I'm running them without the cache-readahead bit turned on, by the
way; my understanding is that the two ways to turn on that bit
were (1) hook up the drive to a Sun-4 and use its disk formatter
to enable the bit or (2) hook up the drive to a NeXT and use the
program posted by Paul O'Neill some time ago.  Well, I haven't got
either machine, so my drives are still running without that bit set.

--
Be seeing you,
Rich Kulawiec

iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) (09/28/90)

In article <9750@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> rsk@oldfield.tmc.edu (Rich Kulawiec) writes:
>I've got four DS3100's connected to CDC Wren V's; in fact one of them
>has four of these drives plus an exabyte.  Works like a champ.
>
>I'm running them without the cache-readahead bit turned on, by the
>way; my understanding is that the two ways to turn on that bit
>were (1) hook up the drive to a Sun-4 and use its disk formatter
>to enable the bit or (2) hook up the drive to a NeXT and use the
>program posted by Paul O'Neill some time ago.  Well, I haven't got
>either machine, so my drives are still running without that bit set.

Under Ultrix 4.0, I've used /etc/rzdisk to change the "readahead cache
disable" (RCD) bit on Maxtor drives.  You want the bit to be 0 to
enable the readahead cache.  I used the following command:

  # /etc/rzdisk -c ask /dev/rrzxc

where the 'x' in /dev/rrzxc is the drive number you want to tweak.

I just check one of our 5000s with a CDC drive on it, and it appears that
this bit is not in the same place as it is on the Maxtor drives (page 8
of the drive parameters), so I guess you're out of luck using rzdisk
on CDC drives.

Mike Iglesias
University of California, Irvine
Internet:    iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu
BITNET:      iglesias@uci
uucp:        ...!ucbvax!ucivax!iglesias

paul@caen.engin.umich.edu (Paul Killey) (09/29/90)

Other scsi problems include not having the switches set correctly
on the drive that determine powering the scsi termination.  If that
is goofed up, so is the scsi bus, and you get the problem where
you can't see the disk (or much of anything) on the bus.  decs are
more susceptible to that than are other brands.

We run maxtor drives here (8380, 4380, 8760, lxt-200) on decs.
Also have had luck with micropolis and cdc or seagate or whatever
they are now.

I've noticed that the bits controlling different read ahead/caching
parameters seem to be different on different drives.  I hacked up
my own formatter.

When you format your drives, you might as well change the
zone (for bad block forwarding) to be a track, and not a cylinder.
I think the sun formatter does this for you automagically.  However,
I noticed that formatting disks on a sun 3 (emulex whatever scsi
controller) was kind of a loser, at least for running disks on the
decs, because of other parameters it (silently) changes.

rzdisk on 3.1 is a no-op for this, because you change the params
with the -c thing, but then it goes ahead and ignores the modified
params and formats the disk with the old (unchanged) saved params.

I am going to do an exhaustive search of all scsi option combos
and plot some results.  I am still mystified as to why fast bus and
fast disk do not add up to fast throughput.

While I'm at it, changing disk from synch to asynch will fix
some problems, but the real fix is usually getting newer firmware
that fixes a bug involved in some size data transfers.  E.g. level
9 dumps would hang, because of this, because of how dump would be
seeking around and reading bits and pieces to see what should be
saved.  level 0 dumps did not hang because dump knew it had to save
everything anyway, and skipped that part.

Sometimes turning off cacheing is also a fix for that.

--paul

grunwald@foobar.colorado.edu (Dirk Grunwald) (09/29/90)

it's on page 0x38, or decimal 56. Mine looks like this, and I have the
read-ahead enabled. Could someone without read ahead enabled mail me
theirs, or post it? That should indicate the bit to change. I suspect
that you need to switch byte 0 from 0x10 to 0x11, but don't listen to
me. Anyone have any documentation on this page?

More output (y/n)? y

Page 56 - unknown or unsupported page:
  PS                                    1
  Page code                             56
  Page length                           14
  Byte 0                                0x11
  Byte 1                                0xff
  Byte 2                                0x40
  Byte 3                                0x0
  Byte 4                                0x0
  Byte 5                                0x0
  Byte 6                                0x0
  Byte 7                                0x0
  Byte 8                                0x0
  Byte 9                                0x0
  Byte 10                               0x0
  Byte 11                               0x0
  Byte 12                               0x0
  Byte 13                               0x0

gibson@b11.ingr.com (Stan Gibson) (10/04/90)

In article <270379F7.4803@orion.oac.uci.edu> Mike Iglesias <iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu> writes:

>I just check one of our 5000s with a CDC drive on it, and it appears that
>this bit is not in the same place as it is on the Maxtor drives (page 8
>of the drive parameters), so I guess you're out of luck using rzdisk
>on CDC drives.

CDC drives use mode select page 38 ( bit 4 of byte 2)to enable/disable
read-ahead. This was commonly used among vendors of SCSI-1 drives. The
SCSI-II spec defines the read-ahead page a page 8. The Maxtor drives
support this page. Some of the XT8000's series Maxtors support BOTH pages.