[comp.unix.ultrix] Need ifconfig help on DEC 5000/200

hucka@engin.umich.edu (Michael Hucka) (09/23/90)

Hi,
We very recently received two brand new DEC 5000s.  We ordered ThickNet
ethernet interface options, which we installed in option slot 2 as per the
installation guide's suggestion.

Problem: we can't seem to get the machines to use the ThickNet connections.
We *think* we have it narrowed down to a problem of specifying the right
device to ifconfig.  Trying
	ifconfig se0 .....  (rest of line omitted)
apparently makes the system use the ThinNet.  But
	ifconfig se1 ......
results in errors about "no such interface".  Just for the hell of it, we've
tried se2, se3, ... se7; also ln0, ... ln3 and even qe0, qe1.  All yield the
same error.

I'm sure we're making an unbearably stupid error somewhere, but we tried
everything obvious to us (the wires, the connectors, etc.)  We have had other
5000s running for well over a month using ThinNet and otherwise nearly
identical configurations.  The installation manuals don't mention any
hardware switches that would have to be set to make the machine use the other
ethernet interface (unlike the 3100s).

Can anyone please offer help or suggestions?  (Please reply via e-mail if
possible, to reduce newsgroup traffic.)

Mike Hucka

--
Mike Hucka                     | ARPA: hucka@caen.engin.umich.edu
University of Michigan AI Lab  | 1101 Beal Ave., Ann Arbor, MI 48109

mellon@fenris.pa.dec.com (Ted Lemon) (09/26/90)

Have you reconfigured the kernel to recognize the new device?   There
should be a line like the following in your /usr/sys/conf/mips/NAME
file (where NAME is the capitalized name of your machine) that looks
like the following:

device          ln1        at ibus?     vector lnintr

You can leave in the line that looks like this...

device          ln0        at ibus?     vector lnintr

...if you aren't planning on using the ThinNet interface...

			       _MelloN_

hucka@eecs.umich.edu (Michael Hucka) (10/04/90)

   From: mellon@fenris.pa.dec.com (Ted Lemon)
   Newsgroups: comp.unix.ultrix
   Date: 25 Sep 90 22:23:01 GMT

   Have you reconfigured the kernel to recognize the new device?   There
   should be a line like the following in your /usr/sys/conf/mips/NAME
   file (where NAME is the capitalized name of your machine) that looks
   like the following:

   device          ln1        at ibus?     vector lnintr

   You can leave in the line that looks like this...

   device          ln0        at ibus?     vector lnintr

   ...if you aren't planning on using the ThinNet interface...

				  _MelloN_

Thanks -- this was indeed the problem; the kernel wasn't set up to recognize
the new device.

Mike