[comp.unix.ultrix] Problem getting LAT printers to work on Ultrix V4.0

michael@swift.cs.tcd.ie (09/23/90)

We are having problems getting printers going using ports on a DECSERVER-200
under Ultrix version 4.0, even though these seem to work on Ultrix 3.0 and on
VMS 5.2.

We think we have followed the instructions in the manual.

Has anybody got LAT printers going under Ultrix 4.0 and did they have to do
anything special ?

--
Michael Nowlan                 | eMail:   	michael@cs.tcd.ie
Department of Computer Science,|

In article <7113.26fc941d@swift.cs.tcd.ie> michael@swift.cs.tcd.ie writes:
> We are having problems getting printers going using ports on a DECSERVER-200
> under Ultrix version 4.0, even though these seem to work on Ultrix 3.0 and on
> VMS 5.2.
>
> We think we have followed the instructions in the manual.

Make sure you specify :os=: - seem to recall we had to change this when
installing the lps software, which supposedly became the standard 4.0
print spooling system.

Also, make sure you have an error log file specified and see what kind of
messages show up there.   You can probably specify /dev/console if you're lazy.

joltes@husc9.harvard.edu (Richard Joltes) (09/24/90)

We recently upgraded to Ultrix 4.0 and are experiencing no problems with LAT
printing.  We're using DataProducts (band-style), DEC LA210, and Apple
LaserWriter engines.  As far as I know nothing changed when we did the upgrade.

Good Luck...

Dick Joltes					joltes@husc4.harvard.edu
Mgr. of Hardware & Facilities
Harvard University Science Center

avolio@decuac.DEC.COM (Frederick M. Avolio) (09/25/90)

You need to give more information?  What errors are you getting in the
error log file?  Are the lat ports defined in /dev?  What is failing?
does it spool it and sit forever or does it think it sent it?

Fred

mwp@ubeaut.oz.au (Michael Paddon) (10/04/90)

From article <7113.26fc941d@swift.cs.tcd.ie>, by michael@swift.cs.tcd.ie:
> We are having problems getting printers going using ports on a DECSERVER-200
> under Ultrix version 4.0, even though these seem to work on Ultrix 3.0 and on
> VMS 5.2.
>
> We think we have followed the instructions in the manual.
>
> Has anybody got LAT printers going under Ultrix 4.0 and did they have to do
> anything special ?

I've been running LAT printers under 4.0 for several months now with no
problems. I don't recall doing anything special so here's the relevant
setup details:

(1) Make sure your ethernet interface is ifconfig'd up.

(2) Make some LAT tty devices in /dev (major # = 39). You can use MAKEDEV
    for this, but I prefer non-decstandard names to differentiate them from
    real ttys so I use mknod.

(3) You should have some lines in /etc/rc.local (near the end is good)
    that look something like mine:

/etc/lcp -s -g 0,1,2,3,4,5,100,101,102,103,104,105\
	-h `echo /dev/ttym? | sed -e 's/ /,/g'`\
	-H `echo /dev/ttyl? | sed -e 's/ /,/g'`\
	-n godzilla -N "Projects Unit MicroVAX II"\
	-v godzilla -V "Ultrix 4.0"
echo 'LAT started.'						>/dev/console

    Make sure you include the group number required for access to your
    printer in the '-g' string. All the stuffing around with sed was to
    make less typing for me; you can just list the relevant ttys, seperated
    by commas.

(4) You should set up /etc/printcap a bit like mine:

ln03r|ps|lp1|lp|LN03R laser printer:\
	:lp=/dev/ttym0:ts=TSERVE:op=LN03R:\
	:if=/usr/lib/lpdfilters/ln03rof:\
	:of=/usr/lib/lpdfilters/ln03rof:\
	:sd=/usr/spool/lpd/8x5_ln03r:\
	:lf=/usr/adm/lpd-errs:\
	:mx#0:pw#80:sh:

    The important bit is the 'ts=TSERVE' which indicates which terminal
    server to use and 'op=LN03R' which says which port on the server the
    printer is connected to.

I hope this helps...

					Michael

|                     |     Internet: paddon@meo78b.enet.dec.com  |
|                     |     ACSnet:   mwp@ubeaut.oz.au            |
|  Michael Paddon     |     ACSnet:   mwp@munnari.oz.au           |
|                     |     EasyNet:  meo78b::paddon              |
|                     |     Voice:    +61 3 895 9392              |

mcanally@swift.cs.tcd.ie (10/05/90)

In article <7113.26fc941d@swift.cs.tcd.ie>, michael@swift.cs.tcd.ie writes:
> We are having problems getting printers going using ports on a DECSERVER-200
> under Ultrix version 4.0, even though these seem to work on Ultrix 3.0 and on
> VMS 5.2.
>
> We think we have followed the instructions in the manual.
>
> Has anybody got LAT printers going under Ultrix 4.0 and did they have to do
> anything special ?

Thanks to all who responded to the newsgroup or directly be e-mail.
Having followed the instructions in the manual, the one extra thing that needed
to be done, was to check that daemon had access to the tty file used in /dev
(e.g. /dev/tty03) to make the connection to the decserver. In /etc/rc.local
we have an entry /etc/lcp -s -h /dev/tty03 and in /etc/printcap there must be
an entry for the name of the decserver and the name of the port on the
decserver that is used. e.g. :ts=DSB: :op=PORT_2:

After /etc/printcap has been modified, the printer daemon lpd has to be killed
and restarted.

Thanks to all who helped sort out the problem.
--
 ,
Maire Mc Anally 	 	| eMail:   	mcanally@cs.tcd.ie

In article <7124.270c660e@swift.cs.tcd.ie> mcanally@swift.cs.tcd.ie writes:

> After /etc/printcap has been modified, the printer daemon lpd has to be killed
> and restarted.

This seems excessive, all you should have to do is "lpc abort xyz"
then "lpc start xyz", where xyz is the name of the printer.

thomas@mipsbx.lkg.dec.com (Matt Thomas) (10/06/90)

In article <259@ubeaut.oz.au>, mwp@ubeaut.oz.au (Michael Paddon) writes:
> I've been running LAT printers under 4.0 for several months now with no
> problems. I don't recall doing anything special so here's the relevant
> setup details:
[...]
> (1) Make sure your ethernet interface is ifconfig'd up.

In ULTRIX V4.0, LAT automaticly adds an ifaddr to all usable interfaces.
This is enought to start them up (it's also enough for DLI/MOP).  This means
yuou don't have to run IP or DECnet if you don't want to.

Another feature is that you can use ttyXX instead of /dev/ttyXX.  (If name
alone doesn't exist, then /dev/ is prepended and the new name is checked.