[comp.unix.ultrix] new 3MAX firmware info

santiago@lerad.pa.dec.com (Eduardo Santiago) (10/09/90)

jv@mh.nl (Johan Vromans) writes:
>I have had a second SCSI card added to my DS5000. When I type "cnfg"
>to the monitor prompt, I get (a.o):

>  5: PMAZ-AA	DEC	V5.3b	TCF0	(SCSI = 7)
>  0: PMAZ-AA	DEC	V4.1	PDE3

>The first line is the standard SCSI card, the second is the one that
>was added. However, the system does not see it as a SCSI card.

>Can anyone comment on this? Is it outdated (looking at the revision)?
>Is it broken? What does "PDE3" mean? (Also: what does "TCF0" mean?)

It was bound to happen sooner or later...

As many of you know, the 3MAX (DS5000) firmware is undergoing a Field
Change Order -- all new machines are coming out with upgraded firmware,
and all field machines are being upgraded.  Your 3MAX system is up to
date, but your SCSI option card has an old ROM in it.  Please call your
local DEC person and ask for an up-to-date PMAZ-AA ROM or, more likely,
an up-to-date SCSI card.  I believe the ROM part number is 23-579E6-00.
Once you get this, both lines in the 'cnfg' display will be identical
except for the option numbers.

BTW,  Ultrix should still see it as a SCSI card no matter which ROM it
has -- did you add the "adapter asc1" and "disk rz## at asc1" lines to
your config file?

FOR FUTURE REFERENCE:

By this time, all machines in the field should have the new ROMs.  The
new firmware has an identifier of TCF0 (TurboChannel Firmware 0). The
old firmware is PDE3.  If any of you see ROMs in your 3MAX that identify
themselves as PDE3, please call your DEC person to see about upgrading.
The reason for the FCO is to provide a simple, clean firmware platform
for third-party option developers, and all option modules being built
now and in the future will have new TCF0 ROMs.

^Ed -- 3MAX firmware developer -- speaking for himself, *not* Digital or WSE.

PS if you have trouble getting the part, and  you have PROM blasters,
   send me mail at the address below.
Ed Santiago                                      santiago@decwrl.dec.com
DEC Workstations Systems Engineering             ..decwrl!santiago