[comp.unix.ultrix] Backup recommendations sought

jeremym@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Jeremy Maris) (10/09/90)

I would like to be able to backup all our filesystems overnight to an Exabyte
and be able to restore  directory trees, as distinct from a complete
filesystem, without too much bother. We have 6 ~250Mb partitions  and
use CAP to provide an AUFS file server to Macs.

Dump is a bit of a pain for anything other than security backups of file
systems, because of the crude nature of restor, and can only write one
filesystem per tape in its vanilla form. Tar has the 100 char filename limit,
so I'd have to hack GNUtar to allow for the large filenames used by CAP/AUFS.

Three questions:

	1) What do people use for multiple dumps to Exabyte ?
	2) Are there any fancy interfaces to restor to allow
	   easy restoration of a directory tree ?
	3) Is there anything with the flexibilty and robustness of
	   VMS Backup available for Ultrix/Un*x  ( ie journal files,checksums,
	   redundancy, a gogol of selection options) ?

Thanks,
---
Jeremy Maris,Experimental Psychology,University of Sussex,Brighton,England.
Janet: jeremym@uk.ac.sussex.syma  Nsfnet: jeremym@syma.sussex.ac.uk
Bitnet: jeremym%sussex.syma@ukacrl.bitnet   UUCP: ...ukc!syma!jeremym

henryc@oar.net (Henry Clark) (10/11/90)

In article <3597@syma.sussex.ac.uk> jeremym@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Jeremy Maris) writes:
>	1) What do people use for multiple dumps to Exabyte ?

Dump.  (use the no-rewind device or use mt to position the tape)

>	2) Are there any fancy interfaces to restor to allow
>	   easy restoration of a directory tree ?

Use restore in an interactive mode and you can restore whatever files/trees
you wish.

>	3) Is there anything with the flexibilty and robustness of
>	   VMS Backup available for Ultrix/Un*x  ( ie journal files,checksums,
>	   redundancy, a gogol of selection options) ?

One of the nice things about Unix is its simplicity.

Henry
henryc@oar.net

bachesta@bcstec.UUCP (Jim Bachesta) (10/11/90)

In article <3597@syma.sussex.ac.uk> jeremym@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Jeremy Maris) writes:

>Three questions:
>
>	1) What do people use for multiple dumps to Exabyte ?
>	2) Are there any fancy interfaces to restor to allow
>	   easy restoration of a directory tree ?
>	3) Is there anything with the flexibilty and robustness of
>	   VMS Backup available for Ultrix/Un*x  ( ie journal files,checksums,
>	   redundancy, a gogol of selection options) ?

	At our site we have about 30 gigabytes of disk space. We use
dump and restore exclusively for our backup needs. The way we get
multiple dumps to is as follows:

	o Use the "non rewind" device for our 8mm tape unit.
	o call a script from cron that consecutively performs a
	  backup to the 8mm tape unit. We can backup all 20 of our
	  drives to two tapes this way. It is only a daily bakup,
	  but it works unattended.

Since the tape dosn't rewind after each dump, the next dump continues
where the previous dump ended.
-
To restore just use the "s" feature of restore. This skips file marks
to the desired dump on the tape.

Restore can handle a file tree easily. Use the interactive switch when
you start the restore (i.e restore -i /dev/nrmt2h ). You will be placed
at the the "restore>" prompt. To select a tree simply "add" the node
where the tree begins:

	restore> add node

As far as VMS backup goes, I am not aware of any products out there to
support that type of environment.

					James Bachesta
					Boeing P3 Update IV Project
	 				bachesta@trident.boeing.com