[comp.unix.ultrix] Ultrix 4.0 sendmail MX handling

louie@sayshell.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) (09/05/90)

Has anyone else noticed problems with MX forwarding in sendmail?  Here's
the problem that I've had:

In the DNS, there are some MX records for TRANTOR.UMD.EDU:

TRANTOR.UMD.EDU	IN	MX	10 TRANTOR.UMD.EDU.
		IN	MX	20 CAMELOT.UMD.EDU.

Now, camelot is the Ultrix 4.0 machine.  TRANTOR.UMD.EDU goes down over the
weekend, so mail is delivered to CAMELOT.UMD.EDU.  CAMELOT attempts delivery
of the message, first trying TRANTOR, which of course fails since its down.
It then opens a connected to itself, which is the problem.  It should trim the
list of MX forwarders to those with lower preferences than itself (and this
indeed happens in the regular Berkeley 5.61 and some earlier versions).

Funny thing is, this used to work just fine under Ultrix 3.something.  Since
we don't have sources yet (grr...) I installed the Berkeley sendmail.  I'd
like to run the Ultrix version with the Hesoid support, but this is a real
problem which needs to be resolved.

louie

marchany@vtserf.cc.vt.edu (Randy Marchany) (10/11/90)

In article <1990Sep5.134625.16191@ni.umd.edu> louie@sayshell.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) writes:
>Has anyone else noticed problems with MX forwarding in sendmail?  Here's
>the problem that I've had:
>
>In the DNS, there are some MX records for TRANTOR.UMD.EDU:
>
>TRANTOR.UMD.EDU	IN	MX	10 TRANTOR.UMD.EDU.
>		IN	MX	20 CAMELOT.UMD.EDU.
>
>louie

He goes on to state that whenever TRANTOR goes down, CAMELOT tries to
deliver to  TRANTOR and on failure, opens a 'connected to itself' which is
the problem. Apparently, the list of MX forwarders is not trimmed to
those with lower preferences than itself. This used to work on Ultrix
3.1.

We've run into the same problem here at our site. I was looking thru
comp.unix.ultrix for a response to the original note but couldn't find
it. Does anyone what changed in sendmail (or whatever) between Ultrix
versions? Thanks.
	-Randy Marchany
INTERNET: marchany@vtserf.cc.vt.edu

jch@dyfed.rdg.dec.com (John Haxby) (10/12/90)

In article <412@vtserf.cc.vt.edu>, marchany@vtserf.cc.vt.edu (Randy Marchany) writes:
|> In article <1990Sep5.134625.16191@ni.umd.edu> louie@sayshell.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) writes:
|> >Has anyone else noticed problems with MX forwarding in sendmail?  Here's
|> >the problem that I've had:
|> >
|> >In the DNS, there are some MX records for TRANTOR.UMD.EDU:
|> >
|> >TRANTOR.UMD.EDU	IN	MX	10 TRANTOR.UMD.EDU.
|> >		IN	MX	20 CAMELOT.UMD.EDU.
|> >
|> >louie
|>
|> He goes on to state that whenever TRANTOR goes down, CAMELOT tries to
|> deliver to  TRANTOR and on failure, opens a 'connected to itself' which is
|> the problem. Apparently, the list of MX forwarders is not trimmed to
|> those with lower preferences than itself. This used to work on Ultrix
|> 3.1.
|>
|> We've run into the same problem here at our site

MX records work without any problems in V4, provided that you don't that an
MX record for a host doesn't include itself :-(

However, the good news is that the reason for this is that the $w macro is
defined to be the unqualified name of the host (eg TRANTOR) instead of the
FQDN (eg TRANTOR.UMD.EDU) -- the solution is to define $w to be the FQDN
explicitly in the sendmail config file; this, of course, may throw up
problems in the config file because it assumes that $w is unqualified.
John Haxby
Digital				<jch@wessex.rdg.dec.com>
Reading, England		<...!ukc!wessex!jch>