[comp.unix.ultrix] Need help with DS5000 ris install

dw@csri.toronto.edu (Dave Wortman) (10/16/90)

I'm trying to use /etc/ris to network install Ultrix 4.0 on a new
DS5000/200PX.  Network connection is via the optional thick ethernet
adapter (no thin ether in these parts).  I can boot the standalone
vmunix and start the advanced installation procedure ok.
The install fails when the install.1 script tries to use rsh to
extract information from my server (a 3600 Ultrix system).
It consistently gets the "Connection timed out" error.
Essential files on each side seem to be ok (e.g /etc/hosts on DS5000
has valid server/client entries. server setup has been checked).
When the installation fails, the system goes into standalone single
user mode.  In that mode, all attempts to rsh the server fail
with connection time outs.

Conjecture is that the standalone vmunix doesn't understand the
thick ethernet port and is trying to use the null terminated
thin ethernet.  There doesn't appear to be any easy way to
ifconfig the ports correctly.

SUGGESTIONS APPRECIATED

mike@raven.uss.tek.com (Mike Ewan) (10/16/90)

In article <1990Oct15.190725.26484@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> dw@csri.toronto.edu (Dave Wortman) writes:
>I'm trying to use /etc/ris to network install Ultrix 4.0 on a new
>DS5000/200PX.  Network connection is via the optional thick ethernet
>adapter (no thin ether in these parts).
>[...]
>
>Conjecture is that the standalone vmunix doesn't understand the
>thick ethernet port and is trying to use the null terminated
>thin ethernet.  There doesn't appear to be any easy way to
>ifconfig the ports correctly.

You could try ifconfig'ing the port manually then restarting the
install by doing:
. /.profile

(I seem to remember needing to do this with the same kind of install
 on a VS2000.)

Mike
--
 Michael Ewan    (503)627-6468      Internet:  mike@raven.USS.TEK.COM
 Unix Systems Support                   UUCP:  ...!tektronix!puffin!raven!mike