[comp.unix.ultrix] Ultrix tutorial needed...

ESV@psuvm.psu.edu (ANDREW COLL) (10/17/90)

My department just bought nine 3000 series decstations.  The
problem is, I don't know a thing about Ultrix, or unix.  Does
anyone know of a tutorial for someone like me
(comp.msdos.only!unix&ultrix.bonehead)
thats available via anonymous ftp?  I have three weeks
to become "fully operational" on these machines.

Many many thanks in advance!
Andrew Coll       ESV@PSUVM.BITNET
                  ESV@PSUVM.PSU.EDU

mjr@hussar.dco.dec.com (Marcus J. Ranum) (10/17/90)

In article <90289.182545ESV@psuvm.psu.edu> ESV@psuvm.psu.edu (ANDREW COLL) writes:
>[...]  Does
>anyone know of a tutorial for someone like me
>(comp.msdos.only!unix&ultrix.bonehead)
>thats available via anonymous ftp?  I have three weeks
>to become "fully operational" on these machines.

	Your best bet would be to visit just about any bookstore with a
reasonable selection of computer books and get an introductory text on
using UNIX. Most of the UNIX-related documentation I know of on the net
is bits and pieces, dealing with specific areas, rather than general
introductions. A good introductory text (should) will make some effort
to follow a reasoned progression, rather than the masses of RFCs and
such that you can grab from the net. My personal favorite UNIX books
are somewhat dated: S.R. Bourne's "The UNIX System" and Kernighan and
Pike's "The UNIX Programming Environment". If you hunt for books make
sure they're about Berkeley UNIX (bsd) NOT System V (if you're trying
to grow to know and love ULTRIX) - System V is different in ways that
people seem to make a lot of money arguing over. :)

mjr.

In article <90289.182545ESV@psuvm.psu.edu> ESV@psuvm.psu.edu (ANDREW COLL) writes:
> My department just bought nine 3000 series decstations.  The
> problem is, I don't know a thing about Ultrix, or unix.  Does
> anyone know of a tutorial for someone like me
> (comp.msdos.only!unix&ultrix.bonehead)
> thats available via anonymous ftp?  I have three weeks
> to become "fully operational" on these machines.

Well, if "fully operational" involves system administration, then I'd
recommend getting a copy of "Unix System Adminsistration Handbook" by
Nemeth/Snyder/Seebass, Prentice Hall ISBN 0-13-933441-6.  Also, don't
ignore the Ultrix administrator's guides, they are fairly detailed as far
as how to do, if weak on what or why to do...

For more user oriented matters, there's the something called the
"C-shell field guide" and a book by Wang? on working the Berkeley
environment.  Try to avoid the 10,000 generic AT&T unix oriented
books by TAB, etc...

You should also consider picking up some of the "Nutshell" handbooks.
Check something like Unix/World or Unix Review for ad's.

Good luck!

avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) (10/17/90)

ULTRIX documentation comes with a tutorial.  Find out who got the doc set(s).
Also , ask your sales rep if you could get some time with one of his ULTRIX
technical support folks.  It is a possibility.  Finally, you could buy custom]
training from Digital -- DECstart.  DECstart for ULTRIX is meanty to be
customizable and is intended to "get you started".  It can be done for
1, 10, 50 people.

Fred