[comp.unix.ultrix] Ultrix 4.0 now refusing logins

conley@csvax.cs.ukans.edu (10/17/90)

We shutdown, moved, and rebooted our 5400 a couple of days ago, and surprise!
Any attempt to login ( other than root on the console ) got the "too many
users" message. Running license shows that we are authorized 64+ logins.

Any ideas what's going on here?

Thanks muchly!

--
| Dennis R. Conley, Computer Science Dept., University of Kansas (913)864-4488 |
| conley@csvax.cs.ukans.edu			     conley@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu |

In article <1990Oct16.184639.26749@csvax.cs.ukans.edu> conley@csvax.cs.ukans.edu writes:
> We shutdown, moved, and rebooted our 5400 a couple of days ago, and surprise!
> Any attempt to login ( other than root on the console ) got the "too many
> users" message. Running license shows that we are authorized 64+ logins.

> Any ideas what's going on here?

You got to wonder what really happened.  The two most notorious reasons for
this are running a kernel without "option QUOTA" and not running the standard
Ultrix init/getty/login (I recall getty as the critical piece).

Perhaps in your moving, you changed the default boot sequence and are now
booting a different kernel or off of a different drive than previously?

avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) (10/17/90)

As root run LMF.  List what is available.  Does it show 64+ users for ULTRIX?
If not, run lmf reset.  And then try to figure out why this isn't being run
(or wasn't) out of the rc file.  This is almost surely your problem.

Fred