[comp.unix.ultrix] Maxtor disks & DEC5000

pjd@inesc.UUCP (Paulo Jorge Delgado) (10/11/90)

	We have installed the following configuration:

DECstation 5000/200 (RISC)	- ULTRIX 4.0	- Maxtor XT-8380S

DECstation 2100 (RISC)		- ULTRIX 4.0	- Maxtor LXT-200

	The disks are rated at 14.5ms and 15ms typical seek time against 24ms
for DEC's RZ55 disks, but I am getting very bad performance ratios for the
Maxtor disks, using the DISKPERF benchmarks:

DEC 5000 with RZ55

File create/delete:     create 19 files/sec, delete 60 files/sec
Directory scan:         4083 entries/sec
Seek/read test:         999 seek/reads per second
r/w speed:              buf 512 bytes, rd 983040 byte/sec, wr 434492 byte/sec
r/w speed:              buf 4096 bytes, rd 964947 byte/sec, wr 340815 byte/sec
r/w speed:              buf 8192 bytes, rd 995483 byte/sec, wr 342299 byte/sec
r/w speed:              buf 32768 bytes, rd 967916 byte/sec, wr 341926 byte/sec

DEC 5000 with Maxtor XT-8380S (installed as a RZ55)

File create/delete:     create 4 files/sec, delete 59 files/sec
Directory scan:         4764 entries/sec
Seek/read test:         503 seek/reads per second
r/w speed:              buf 512 bytes, rd 307801 byte/sec, wr 350303 byte/sec
r/w speed:              buf 4096 bytes, rd 327680 byte/sec, wr 281119 byte/sec
r/w speed:              buf 8192 bytes, rd 328364 byte/sec, wr 291541 byte/sec
r/w speed:              buf 32768 bytes, rd 299023 byte/sec, wr 291811 byte/sec

DEC 2100 with Maxtor LXT-200 (installed as a RZ55)

File create/delete:     create 18 files/sec, delete 59 files/sec
Directory scan:         1282 entries/sec
Seek/read test:         416 seek/reads per second
r/w speed:              buf 512 bytes, rd 298173 byte/sec, wr 343420 byte/sec
r/w speed:              buf 4096 bytes, rd 313007 byte/sec, wr 419990 byte/sec
r/w speed:              buf 8192 bytes, rd 313319 byte/sec, wr 418871 byte/sec
r/w speed:              buf 32768 bytes, rd 301026 byte/sec, wr 441196 byte/sec

	I believe this bad performance of the Maxtor disks is due to the kernel
not being able to use all the features of this disks. There is no entry in the
Ultrix tables (/sys/data/scsi_data.c , /etc/disktab) for the Maxtor disks, so I
had to install them as RZ55 devices.
	I would like to know if there is any configuration procedure I could do
(eg : recompiling the kernel with some changes), to improve the disks
performance (I am mainly interested in improving the DEC 5000-Maxtor XT8380S
pair performance).
	Many thanks.

Paulo Jorge Delgado		email:  pjd@inesc.inesc.pt
INESC - Lisboa - Portugal		...!mcsun!inesc!pjd
INESC - Lisboa - Portugal		PSI%(+0268)004010314::PJD

iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) (10/12/90)

In article <768@inesc.UUCP> pjd@inesc.UUCP (Paulo Jorge Delgado) writes:

>	We have installed the following configuration:
>
>DECstation 5000/200 (RISC)	- ULTRIX 4.0	- Maxtor XT-8380S
>
>DECstation 2100 (RISC)		- ULTRIX 4.0	- Maxtor LXT-200
>
>	The disks are rated at 14.5ms and 15ms typical seek time against 24ms
>for DEC's RZ55 disks, but I am getting very bad performance ratios for the
>Maxtor disks, using the DISKPERF benchmarks:
>
> [stuff deleted...]
>
>	I believe this bad performance of the Maxtor disks is due to the kernel
>not being able to use all the features of this disks. There is no entry in the
>Ultrix tables (/sys/data/scsi_data.c , /etc/disktab) for the Maxtor disks, so I
>had to install them as RZ55 devices.
>	I would like to know if there is any configuration procedure I could do
>(eg : recompiling the kernel with some changes), to improve the disks
>performance (I am mainly interested in improving the DEC 5000-Maxtor XT8380S
>pair performance).

You may need to turn on the readahead cache on the disk - we got some
Maxtor XT8380s drives that had it turned off.  You can do it with
the rzdisk program:

  # rzdisk -c ask /dev/rrz0a

Go down to page 8; it will ask you if you want to set the read cache disable
bit.  Answer "n".  Keep going until it asks you if you want to save
the info on the disk - answer "y".

You should read the man page for rzdisk before you attempt this.

Mike Iglesias
University of California, Irvine
Internet:    iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu
BITNET:      iglesias@uci
uucp:        ...!ucbvax!ucivax!iglesias

mjr@hussar.dco.dec.com (Marcus J. Ranum) (10/12/90)

In article <768@inesc.UUCP> pjd@inesc.UUCP (Paulo Jorge Delgado) writes:
>	We have installed the following configuration:
>
>DECstation 5000/200 (RISC)	- ULTRIX 4.0	- Maxtor XT-8380S
>
>DECstation 2100 (RISC)		- ULTRIX 4.0	- Maxtor LXT-200
>
>	The disks are rated at 14.5ms and 15ms typical seek time against 24ms
>for DEC's RZ55 disks, but I am getting very bad performance ratios for the
>Maxtor disks, using the DISKPERF benchmarks:

	Depending on the way you anticipate using your system, you might
want to increase the size of your buffer cache, and change the write
scheduling policy to delay scheduling dirty buffers for write. This is
done by changing /sys/conf/mips/param.c from:

int	delay_wbuffers = 0;
int	delay_wbuffers = 1;

	and running a kernel based on that. Bumping the size of the cache
can be done in the system config file by putting a line like:

	bufcache 20

	which causes the system to use 20% of its memory for cache. This
can make a pretty big difference, **depending on your application**. You're
in the land of trade-offs, and there's no such thing as a free lunch. I
haven't tried tuning the rotational delay of Maxtors - you might want to
play with that some, too.

mjr.
--
 coffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffee

pavlov@canisius.UUCP (Greg Pavlov) (10/14/90)

In article <1990Oct11.211023.2207@decuac.dec.com>, mjr@hussar.dco.dec.com (Marcus J. Ranum) writes:
> 	Depending on the way you anticipate using your system, you might
> want to increase the size of your buffer cache, and change the write
> scheduling policy to delay scheduling dirty buffers for write.....

   What is the downside of this ?  Am I taking a bigger chance on ending up
   with a corrupted database, for instance ?   What are potential performance
   downsides ?

> I haven't tried tuning the rotational delay of Maxtors - you might want to
> play with that some, too.

    I have played with the tunefs parameters many times  - particularly rotat-
    ional delay.  I have noticed that I do not see any difference (well, no
    more than 2-5% )  regardless of what I set them to and on what type/brand of
    disk (RA70's, RA90's, RDnn's, Fuji M2333k, various CDC and HP).

    - this has been the case ever  since DEC introduced it's "own" filesystem -
    back at ULTRIX 2 (?).  Am I missing something ?  (yes, I dismount the rele-
    vant partititon...).

  greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny
  pavlov@stewart.fstrf.org

bni@modulex.dk (Bent Nielsen) (10/14/90)

iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) writes:
>  # rzdisk -c ask /dev/rrz0a

>Go down to page 8; it will ask you if you want to set the read cache disable
>bit.  Answer "n".  Keep going until it asks you if you want to save
>the info on the disk - answer "y".

>You should read the man page for rzdisk before you attempt this.

When I'm using
# rzdisk -c ask /dev/rrz0a
page 8 can't be shown, it jumps from page 4 to 37.

I'm running Ultrix 4.0 on a DECsystem 3100.

Any suggestions?

--
Bent Nielsen		<bni@modulex.dk>
A/S MODULEX		Phone:    +45 44 53 30 11

mjr@hussar.dco.dec.com (Marcus J. Ranum) (10/15/90)

In article <2933@canisius.UUCP> pavlov@canisius.UUCP (Greg Pavlov) writes:
>In article <1990Oct11.211023.2207@decuac.dec.com>, I write:
>> 	Depending on the way you anticipate using your system, you might
>> want to increase the size of your buffer cache, and change the write
>> scheduling policy to delay scheduling dirty buffers for write.....
>>
>   What is the downside of this ?  Am I taking a bigger chance on ending up
>   with a corrupted database, for instance ?   What are potential performance
>   downsides ?

	The possible downside of the delayed write is a slightly better
chance of losing something. Off the top of my head I can't think of a case
where delaying scheduling dirty blocks for write would be a performance
hit. Unless your machine is really unstable I wouldn't worry about losing
a block or 2 every so often. :)

	Bumping the buffer cache can be a performance hit if it causes you
to start running short of memory for jobs you may have running. If you
increase the buffer cache to, say, 20% and notice that you're starting
to swap where you weren't before, you're hurting your performance. If you
have a machine, for example, that is set up as a file server - nobody
logs in and starts running X-windows on it - then boosting the cache
may make a lot of sense. If *all* you're doing is file service, you can
steal a riff from Plan 9 and just use everything you can for cache. :)

>    I have played with the tunefs parameters many times  - particularly rotat-
>    ional delay.  I have noticed that I do not see any difference (well, no
>    more than 2-5%) regardless of what I set them to and on what type/brand of
>    disk (RA70's, RA90's, RDnn's, Fuji M2333k, various CDC and HP).

	Yep, I've never managed to squeeze the legendary Massive Benefits
of tweaking rotational delay out of the disks, either. I did manage to make
the disks on my 3100 measurably slower one afternoon, so I suppose I could
say I reaped massive benefits by undoing the damage.

mjr.
--
 coffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffee

frank@croton.enet.dec.com (Frank Wortner) (10/15/90)

> - this has been the case ever  since DEC introduced it's "own" filesystem -
>    back at ULTRIX 2 (?).

Could you clarify this a bit?  My copy of the ULTRIX 4.0 Software Product
Description says:

"The ULTRIX Operating System is compatible with other software
system implementations which include:

4th Berkeley Software Distribution (4BSD), Version 4.2 and Version 4.3:

--- File system formats are interchangeable provided disk
    partitions are compatible."

					Frank

p554mve@mpirbn.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de (Michael van Elst) (10/16/90)

In article <2714CFCC.8088@orion.oac.uci.edu> Mike Iglesias <iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu> writes:
>You may need to turn on the readahead cache on the disk - we got some
>Maxtor XT8380s drives that had it turned off.  You can do it with
>the rzdisk program:
>
>  # rzdisk -c ask /dev/rrz0a

Another problem is that the generic configuration doesn't use synchronous
transfers on the SCSI bus for unknown devices. You have to change
the scsi_data.c file (in /sys/data/) to inform the kernel about the drives
capabilties.

Regards,
--
Michael van Elst
UUCP:     universe!local-cluster!milky-way!sol!earth!uunet!unido!mpirbn!p554mve

pavlov@canisius.UUCP (Greg Pavlov) (10/18/90)

In article <1990Oct14.205157.27090@decuac.dec.com>, mjr@hussar.dco.dec.com (Marcus J. Ranum) writes:
> In article <2933@canisius.UUCP> pavlov@canisius.UUCP (Greg Pavlov) writes:
>
> >  I have played with the tunefs parameters many times  - particularly rotat-
> >  ional delay.  I have noticed that I do not see any difference ........
>
> 	Yep, I've never managed to squeeze the legendary Massive Benefits
> of tweaking rotational delay out of the disks, either. ..........

   So what is the rationale for proposing it as a possible solution for the
   original Maxtor problem ?  I still don't get it......

In article <1774@riscy.enet.dec.com>, frank@croton.enet.dec.com (Frank Wortner) writes:

> > - this has been the case ever  since DEC introduced it's "own" filesystem -
> >    back at ULTRIX 2 (?).
>
> Could you clarify this a bit?  My copy of the ULTRIX 4.0 Software Product
> Description says:
> "The ULTRIX Operating System is compatible with other software
> system implementations which include:

  Sorry, I was in a hurry and was sloppy.  I even had the wrong version of
  ULTRIX  (it was 3, not 2).

  What I WAS referring to was the introduction of GFS/ufs .  I don't know
  how much of it was "concept", how much reality  (we can't afford the source
  code).  But lots of things did change.  One was that, up to that point,
  monkeying with tunefs had an effect, whil e afterward it didn't.  (We also
  had to replace our third party QBUS/SMD/MSCP controllers, but that's another
  story...)

  greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny
  pavlov@stewart.fstrf.org

In article <1774@riscy.enet.dec.com> frank@croton.enet.dec.com (Frank Wortner) writes:

> > - this has been the case ever  since DEC introduced it's "own" filesystem -
> >    back at ULTRIX 2 (?).
>
> Could you clarify this a bit?  My copy of the ULTRIX 4.0 Software Product
> Description says:
>
> "The ULTRIX Operating System is compatible with other software
> system implementations which include:

Ultrix filesystems started to diverge from BSD a long time ago.  Ultrix
partition tables are not compatible with the 4.3 BSD equivalents, makeing
"partitions are compatible" mean that the paritions are located at default
ultrix compiled into the driver locations.  The filesystem "clean bit"
was orginally incompatible with the Berkeley definition, but this was
fixed.  It's not clear how compatible the new Ultrix 4.0 "clean" notions
are with 4.3 BSD.  Ultrix fsck violently objects to new superblock fields
defined in 4.3 Tahoe and can't "fix" the superblock.  It's not obvious
whether you can build filesystems with the 4.3 Tahoe that Ultrix can't
deal with, or that it tries to and dies an ulgy death...

All in all, they are still highly compatible, but it would be nice if
Ultrix upgraded their filesystem code to the 4.3 Tahoe level.  Living with
a frozen 4.2 BSD porting base must be soooo much fun for the Ultrix
development group in the 90's...