[comp.unix.ultrix] Ultrix 2.2 Kernel Rebuild Problem

klg@flash.UUCP (Kevin L. Gross) (10/18/90)

Hi,
  I have a Microvax II running Ultrix 2.2. I know its older than god,
  but I have no upgrade options at this time. The problem is that I
  need to build a new kernel for this machine and it won't work.  I
  cannot build a new kernel, I cannot rebuild the existing kernel, I
  can't even build the generic kernel.

  The kernel that the machine is running was built on the system when
  it was upgraded from Ultrix 1.1 to 2.2. Then again in March of 1989
  the kernel was successfully rolled to add a Wren disk drive.

  The problem seems to be that after following the instructions in the
  manual for rolling a new kernel, the make blows up just a few seconds
  after echoing the message, "loading vmunix".

  And it really blows up, I get binary garbage sent to my screen and
  flashing and such, which seems real strange even if the procedure
  doesn't work.

  So I set a script capture and found that just before the garbage, I
  get the messages shown below.

  Can anyone give me some clues as to what is broken and/or how to
  fix it? The best advice I've been able to obtain from DEC
  (due to not having a software maintenance contract) is to reload
  Ultrix, a solution that I'm not sure will work, as well as being
  a severe PITA. I've removed the entire /sys directory and
  replaced it with a backup from January of this year, but it did no
  good, I got the same results:

# make
[Bunch of compile stuff that all seems to work OK]
/bin/cc -I. -c -S -DSIGMA4 -DMVAX -DRPC -DNFS -DUFS -DEMULFLT -DINET -DQUOTA -DKERNEL -DUPGRADE=0 -DSWAPTYPE=0 ../vax/swap.c
/lib/c2 swap.s | ../vax/inline/inline | as -o swap.o
rm -f swap.s
Undefined:
_bbr_start
_bbr_rsp
_microde.0e [BEGIN GARBAGE]
[END GARBAGE]
_step1_multi
_step3
_step4_start
_step4_cont
_step5_start
_step6_start
_step7_start
_step7_b
_step7_c
_step8
_step9
_step10
_step11
_step12_a
_step12_b
_step12_c
_step13_start
_step14
_step15
_step16
_step17
_step18
: bbr.o: multiply defined
: bbr.o: multiply defined
: bbr.o: multiply defined
*** Error code 2

Stop.

Thanks for any help,

-Kevin
--
-Kevin L. Gross          Systems Mgr.           klg@Summation.WA.COM
 As long as the systems are up, my employers don't care what I think

"Obviously, I am dealing with inferior mentalities."   -  Daffy Duck

mathisen@dali.cs.montana.edu (Jaye Mathisen) (10/18/90)

In article <1112@flash.UUCP> klg@summation.wa.com.UUCP (Kevin L. Gross) writes:
># make
>/bin/cc -I. -c -S -DSIGMA4 -DMVAX -DRPC -DNFS -DUFS -DEMULFLT -DINET -DQUOTA -DKERNEL -DUPGRADE=0 -DSWAPTYPE=0 ../vax/swap.c
>Undefined:
>_bbr_start

I would try a make clean in your build directory, and then run
config /sys/conf/HOSTNAME again, followed by the make depend, make stuff.

klg@flash.UUCP (Kevin L. Gross) (10/20/90)

In article <1112@flash.UUCP> I wrote:

>Hi,
>  I have a Microvax II running Ultrix 2.2. I know its older than god,
>  but I have no upgrade options at this time. The problem is that I
>  need to build a new kernel for this machine and it won't work.  I
>  cannot build a new kernel, I cannot rebuild the existing kernel, I
>  can't even build the generic kernel.

Well, the answer is that backups backup whatever is there to backup. In
other words, after the January of 1990 backup didn't work, I went all
the way back to February of 1988 and found a backup of the /sys directory
and restored it and again attempted to rebuild the kernel and it WORKED!

So, thanks for all the suggestions and DEC was right, a reinstall of the
O/S would have worked, however, a good backup is worth its weight in gold!

Still have no idea which file was corrupted or when, but who cares?