[comp.unix.ultrix] Need Getty to work with MICOM under ULTRIX

ffiaming@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Frank G. Fiamingo) (10/20/90)

We're running ULTRIX4.0 (4.2BSD) on a DEC5400.  The serial lines are
connected to a MICOM MUX box, so that users connect through
their modem to the MICOM to the 5400.  The MICOM is capable of
supporting all the normal baud rates on each serial line.
So for maximum efficiency we'd like the DEC to autobaud and
match the callin speed.  Unfortunately, the signal to change
to the next speed is a "break".  When the ULTRIX getty program
senses the "break" it drops DTR.  The MICOM senses the drop in
DTR and breaks the connection.  So instead of autobauding
we end up disconnecting.

Does anyone know how to prevent getty from dropping DTR
when autobauding?  Does anyone have a getty program that
will function the way we'd like it to?

I've tried experimenting with the :ps: and :ab: entries
in the gettytab file, but I haven't had any success.

        Thanks,
        Frank
	frank@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu

In article <5917@nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu> ffiaming@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Frank G. Fiamingo) writes:
>                          Unfortunately, the signal to change
> to the next speed is a "break".  When the ULTRIX getty program
> senses the "break" it drops DTR.  The MICOM senses the drop in
> DTR and breaks the connection.  So instead of autobauding
> we end up disconnecting.

This is (or should be) only the case if you've specfied some kind of
security for serial lines.  This is not something you'd normally want
to do, since a modem connection or simulated connection can use DSR/CD
to detect an "interrupted connection".

I'd suggest you review what security options you've enabled...