[comp.unix.ultrix] Exabyte vs. DEC 5400

pavlov@canisius.UUCP (Greg Pavlov) (10/20/90)

In article <84929@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, neb@python.cis.ohio-state.edu (nebojsa jaksic) writes:

> Does anyone have an Exabyte(sp?) running off of a DEC 5400 server?
> We have few gigs to back up and it seems like a good idea to have it.
> Any comments about compatibility, speed, known bugs? We will be running
> Ultrix 4.0 (hopefully 4.1 soon). How about connecting it to a DEC 3100.

  After asking for "references" from apx. half a dozen vendors (won't buy
  3rd party stuff any other way anymore; been burned too often), we ended
  up with a dual-drive unit from Aviv.  It works fine, tho so far we have
  been able to use it with only one drive active at a time.  Not particu-
  larly fast, but see recent postings on the net on THAT subject  ( THAT =
  dump, rdump, etc performance ).

   greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny
   pavlov@stewart.fstrf.org