[comp.unix.ultrix] Ultrix 4.0 and automount

kenc@madmax.Viewlogic.COM (Kenstir) (10/17/90)

I am running Ultrix 4.0 on a DECstation 3000 as a YP client.
Automount seemed to cause my machine to get into an infamous (and infinite)
"NFS server pid666@/u not responding still trying" wait.
Are there any patches to 4.0 automount yet, or is it simply not
advisable to run it, especially under YP?

Thanks for any help...
--
Kenneth H. Cox
Viewlogic Systems, Inc.

mathisen@dali.cs.montana.edu (Jaye Mathisen) (10/18/90)

In article <1990Oct17.095700@madmax.Viewlogic.COM> kenc@madmax.Viewlogic.COM (Kenstir) writes:
>I am running Ultrix 4.0 on a DECstation 3000 as a YP client.
>Automount seemed to cause my machine to get into an infamous (and infinite)
>"NFS server pid666@/u not responding still trying" wait.
>Are there any patches to 4.0 automount yet, or is it simply not
>advisable to run it, especially under YP?

Definitely don't run it.  It's currently a piece of junk.  I tried using
it for using home directories, with maps of several hundred entries, and
automount just couldn't handle it, and gave the same errors.

A while back, I posted a message to comp.unix.admin asking how other admins
set up their home dirs.  I mentioned that I had tried DEC's automount.  I got
back about 15 replies from people suggesting that I not use DEC's automounter.

Several of those people suggested getting amd, which is available via
anonymous ftp from usc.edu in /pub/amd (I think).  I've got it, but haven't
tried it yet.

kenc@madmax.Viewlogic.COM (Kenstir) (10/22/90)

My original posting <1990Oct17.095700@madmax.Viewlogic.COM>:
>    I am running Ultrix 4.0 on a DECstation 3000 as a YP client.
>    Automount seemed to cause my machine to get into an infamous (and
infinite)
>    "NFS server pid666@/u not responding still trying" wait.
>    Are there any patches to 4.0 automount yet, or is it simply not
>    advisable to run it, especially under YP?

After getting some help from a couple people and getting in touch with
DEC
software support, the answer is this:

If automount does not have its stderr directed anywhere (as when
started
from rc.local) then any network problems will cause it to hang up and
dump
core.

Quick fix in rc.local:
	/usr/etc/automount 2> /dev/console

(perhaps) better fix:
	DEC software support does have a patch for this.