[net.micro] Times have changed ...

bob@nbires.UUCP (Bob Bruck) (08/20/85)

> Eliot Lear wrote:
> Wrong.
>
> A TRUE hacker (not to be confused with the press' definition) is someone that
> knows how to find the "In"s and "Out"s of software or systems...

Still wrong.  The term "hacker" has been around for generations.  My grand-
father used it to mean "someone who builds furniture with a hatchet".  In the
early days of computers, "hatchets" were the only tools we had to work with,
and being dubbed a "hacker" was a sign of respect - it was inappropriate to
call yourself a hacker, it was an honor placed on you by others.

Well today, even though there are better "tools" available for the craftsmen
to use (read "software engineering"), there are still those that prefer to
use hatchets.  They don't neccessarily know 'the "In"s and "Out"s of software
or systems' better... I just think of them as "back to nature" types.

                                      Bob Bruck
                                      NBI Inc.  Boulder, Co.
                                      (hao | allegra | ucbvax | ...)!nbires!bob

lear@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (eliot lear) (08/21/85)

I agree that it is incorrect to call oneself a hacker (sort of calling
oneself beautiful).  The argument of what a hacker is could go on
forever.  That is not my point.  My point is that the people I know as
hackers are NOT childish pointy heads but wise, experienced, intelligent
people.
--

[lear@topaz.rutgers.edu]
[{allegra,seismo,inhp4}!topaz!lear]

skinner@saber.UUCP (Robert Skinner) (08/23/85)

> I agree that it is incorrect to call oneself a hacker (sort of calling
> oneself beautiful).  The argument of what a hacker is could go on
> forever.  That is not my point.  My point is that the people I know as
> hackers are NOT childish pointy heads but wise, experienced, intelligent
> people.
> --
>
> [lear@topaz.rutgers.edu]
> [{allegra,seismo,inhp4}!topaz!lear]

Why is it that saying a piece of is "hacked" imply that it's bad?  But
calling someone a "hacker" is good?  I always felt that a hacker
produced hacked-up code.  Like carving with a hatchet rather than good
wood working tools.  I prefer not to be called a hacker, even
"computer nerd" is better.  I like to think that I'm a programmer,
even though I do occasionally hack at things.

			.. man then went on to prove that black was white,
			and was promptly killed at the next zebra crossing.

Name:	Robert Skinner
Snail:	Saber Technology, 2381 Bering Drive, San Jose, California 95131
AT&T:	(408) 945-0518, or 945-9600 (mesg. only)
UUCP:	...{decvax,ucbvax}!decwrl!saber!skinner
	...{amd,ihnp4,ittvax}!saber!skinner