[comp.unix.ultrix] Problems building perl pl 37 under Ultrix 3.1

iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) (10/25/90)

I'm having problems building perl v3.??? patchlevel 37 on a DECstation 3100
running Ultrix 3.1.  Patchlevevl 28 run the tests fine, but patchlevel
37 fails the op.exec test 4.  I've built both patchlevels the same
way (no -O, fixed volatile, etc).

I noticed that patch 29 added calls to waitpid() in util.c, so I tried
undefining WAITPID in config.h and rebuilt patchlevel 37 again.  Now
it passes all the tests.  Is something broken in Ultrix 3.1 waitpid(),
or is perl not calling it properly?  I don't know too much about
waitpid() and how it's used, so I can't tell if there's a problem.

Thanks,

Mike Iglesias
University of California, Irvine
Internet:    iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu
BITNET:      iglesias@uci
uucp:        ...!ucbvax!ucivax!iglesias

chet@cwns1.INS.CWRU.Edu (Chet Ramey) (10/26/90)

In article <272653CD.28086@orion.oac.uci.edu> iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) writes:
>it passes all the tests.  Is something broken in Ultrix 3.1 waitpid(),
>or is perl not calling it properly?

waitpid() is broken on 3.[01] on Decstations.  It works fine on Vaxen.  It
never updates the status pointer given it.

Chet

--
Chet Ramey			``As I recall, Doug was keen on boxing.  But
Network Services Group		  when he learned to walk, he took up puttin'