[comp.unix.ultrix] Ultrix sendmail MX question

cohen@umvlsi.ecs.umass.edu (Marc Cohen) (10/31/90)

Sorry if this has been answered already.....

It appears that 'out-of-the-box' sendmail under Ultrix 3.1 and 4.0 will
not use an MX record if the machine it is trying to connect to is within
the same domain as the sending machine.  This is true even if the
receiving machine is not in the sending machines /etc/hosts file and it
has to use bind to find the address.

For example:

on umvlsi.ecs.umass.edu

umvlsi% date | mail -v cohen@delta.ecs.umass.edu
 cohen@delta.ecs.umass.edu... Connecting to delta.ecs.umass.edu.tcp...

There is an MX record for delta pointing to omega.ecs.umass.edu.

Has anyone seen this and found a work around other than installing a
different sendmail or adding a new class to the sendmail.cf file to
intercept mail to those clients?  Also, is  there an Ultrix sendmail
available (VAX or MIPS) with debugging enabled so I can get more info
out of /usr/lib/sendmail -bt.

Please reply to me and I will summarize if there is interest.

Thanks, Marc
--
   Marc Cohen, Engineering Computer Services   Internet: cohen@ecs.umass.edu
   University of Massachusetts                 Bitnet: cohen@umaecs

mathisen@dali.cs.montana.edu (Jaye Mathisen) (11/01/90)

In article <1308@umvlsi.ecs.umass.edu> cohen@umvlsi.ecs.umass.edu (Marc Cohen) writes:
>Sorry if this has been answered already.....
>
>It appears that 'out-of-the-box' sendmail under Ultrix 3.1 and 4.0 will
>not use an MX record if the machine it is trying to connect to is within
>the same domain as the sending machine.  This is true even if the

Hmph...  Works fine for me...  have you tried using nslookup to make sure
that the MX record is set up properly?

Also, you might try looking at sendmail-5.65, with IDA enhancements... I
ftp'd mine from uxc.cso.uiuc.edu in pub/sendmail-5.65*.  It supports
mail11, and other goodies...  Looks real nice.