[comp.unix.ultrix] quotas on NFS file systems

markvo@ux.acs.umn.edu (Mark Van Overbeke) (10/31/90)

Ultrix folks!

   I just tried to enable quotas on an NFS mounted filesystem.  I got an error
stating that I had given an illegal option to -o.  In my /etc/fstab file,
the entries that have the problems look like this:

/usr@cda.mrs.umn.edu:/usr:rq:0:0:nfs:bg:
/usr1@cda.mrs.umn.edu:/usr1:rq:0:0:nfs:bg:

If I change the "rq" to "rw", things work find except that I loose
the quota capabilities.  I am running version 4.0 of Ultrix.  I don't have
the 4.0 doc set yet so please don't point me to a manual an leave it at
that.  I think the manuals might be sitting on another campus where I cannot
get at them right now.  Anyone else have problems like this or see what
I might have done wrong?  Thanks in advance!

Mark Van Overbeke                       Systems Software Programmer
University of Minnesota - Morris        Internet:  mark@caa.mrs.umn.edu
Computing Services                      Bitnet:    mark@umnmor.bitnet
Morris,  MN  56267                      612-589-6378

mathisen@dali.cs.montana.edu (Jaye Mathisen) (11/01/90)

In article <2600@ux.acs.umn.edu> markvo@ux.acs.umn.edu (Mark Van Overbeke) writes:
>   I just tried to enable quotas on an NFS mounted filesystem.  I got an error

Ultrix doesn't support quotas over NFS.

iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) (11/01/90)

In article <2798@dali> mathisen@dali.cs.montana.edu (Jaye Mathisen) writes:
>In article <2600@ux.acs.umn.edu> markvo@ux.acs.umn.edu (Mark Van Overbeke) writes:
>>   I just tried to enable quotas on an NFS mounted filesystem.  I got an error
>
>Ultrix doesn't support quotas over NFS.

It does if it's the server.  I'm doing it with a DS 3100 (Ultrix 3.1)
as a server to several systems, some being DS 5000s running Ultrix
4.1.  I believe you have to enforce the quotas on the system that's
serving the disk, not the systems that are mounting it.

Mike Iglesias
University of California, Irvine
Internet:    iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu
BITNET:      iglesias@uci