[comp.unix.ultrix] TAR

hautala@odin.m2c.org (11/02/90)

I am trying to extract a tar file, and it seems no matter what I do, I get
this error "checksum error in directory file, possible name:" and then a
bunch of garbage!!!

what gives???  what is the correct command to extract all the files from a
tar file in my directory????

thanx in advance

bad@atrain.sw.stratus.com (Bruce Dumes) (11/02/90)

In article <6187@m2c.M2C.ORG> hautala@odin.m2c.org () writes:

>I am trying to extract a tar file, and it seems no matter what I do, I get
>this error "checksum error in directory file, possible name:" and then a
>bunch of garbage!!!
>
>what gives???  what is the correct command to extract all the files from a
>tar file in my directory????
>
>thanx in advance

I've seen this when someone was trying to tar a compressed file.  Later
they said something like, "Ohhhh, that's what that ".Z" meant!!"

By the way, tar xvf <filename> should work; you might need to specify
the blocking factor.

Bruce

--
Bruce Dumes			|  "You don't see many of *these* nowdays, |
bad@zen.cac.stratus.com		|   do you?"				   |

In article <6187@m2c.M2C.ORG> hautala@odin.m2c.org () writes:

> I am trying to extract a tar file, and it seems no matter what I do, I get
> this error "checksum error in directory file, possible name:" and then a
> bunch of garbage!!!
>
> what gives???  what is the correct command to extract all the files from a
> tar file in my directory????

It is quite possible the tar tape was created with an non-default blocksize.
Try something like tar xb 40 and see if that helps.  You can also use dd to
determine the blocksize by doing "dd if=/dev/rmt?? of=diskfile bs=127b count=1"
and then ls -l to check the size of the file...