[comp.unix.ultrix] ds5000/200 Ultrix4 dbx problems

weier@twolf4.CE.YALE.EDU (Richard Weier) (10/18/90)

It appears that dbx for the DS5000 provides no way of calling a function.  Why has the extremely handy "call" command been removed?  This drastically cuts into our development efficiency!

Another problem with this version of dbx is that it does not recognize conditional break points when a program is rerun.  The break points show up with the status command, but they are ignored.  Deleting break command and retyping the same thing over causes it to work.

mao@eden.Berkeley.EDU (Mike Olson) (10/19/90)

In <26832@cs.yale.edu>, weier@twolf4.CE.YALE.EDU (Richard Weier) writes

> It appears that dbx for the DS5000 provides no way of calling a function.
> Why has the extremely handy "call" command been removed?  This drastically
> cuts into our development efficiency!

as TFM explains, "call" is "func" using dec's dbx.  apparently compatibility
wasn't the first thing on their minds.  there are other minor annoyances;
having the last action repeated when you hit carriage return really sucks
when you have a bouncy keyboard, and making ^D behave non-deterministically
was a bad idea.  the list goes on...

curse me for a heathen, but i *really* wish there were an adb for the
pmax chip, and we could stop compiling such obese programs.  still, even
dec's dbx beats printf()'s.
					mike olson
					postgres research group
					uc berkeley
					mao@postgres.berkeley.edu

hudgens@sun13.scri.fsu.edu (Jim Hudgens) (10/19/90)

In article <26832@cs.yale.edu> weier@twolf.ce.yale.edu writes:

   It appears that dbx for the DS5000 provides no way of calling a
   function.  Why has the extremely handy "call" command been removed?
   This drastically cuts into our development efficiency!

We recently complained about this through the proper channels.
The person I spoke to mentioned that he would file a QAR (???) or something
like that.  This cripples dbx for one person here who needs it
for a FORTRAN application which uses fairly complicated data structures
built out of arrays, and needs the ability to call a print routine
which pretty prints the data-structure.

   Another problem
   with this version of dbx is that it does not recognize conditional
   break points when a program is rerun.  The break points show up with
   the status command, but they are ignored.  Deleting break command and
   retyping the same thing over causes it to work.

I noticed several problems with the debugger in this area as well.
If both a tracepoint and a breakpoint are set, only one of them
will have any effect (maybe not true in general, but definitely
true for the code I was debugging).  This hasn't been reported (yet).

Also, how does one catch an overflow/underflow/divide-by-zero error
under dbx?  Is there a standard way to have a signal delivered
when a floating point error occurs?

--
Disclaimer:  I didn't do it.
Jim Hudgens		Supercomputer Computations Research Institute

In article <1179@sun13.scri.fsu.edu> hudgens@sun13.scri.fsu.edu (Jim Hudgens) writes:
> In article <26832@cs.yale.edu> weier@twolf.ce.yale.edu writes:
>
>    It appears that dbx for the DS5000 provides no way of calling a
>    function.  Why has the extremely handy "call" command been removed?
>    This drastically cuts into our development efficiency!
>
> We recently complained about this through the proper channels.
> The person I spoke to mentioned that he would file a QAR (???) or something
> like that.

If I recall, QAR channel is appropriate for Field Test sites, normal sites
file an SPR (sofware performance report) instead.  In either case complaining
is likely to be ineffective, you must get some paper filed.  If you have
access to the normal support center channels, you can get the support center
people to do this for you, but you may have to insist, it doesn't happen
by default.

You should also make your sales person aware of serious problems that affect
the usability/value of the product, it can't hurt.

weier@twolf4.CE.YALE.EDU (Richard Weier) (10/30/90)

In article <15270@cbmvax.commodore.com>, grr@cbmvax.commodore.com (George Robbins) writes:
|> > In article <26832@cs.yale.edu> weier@twolf.ce.yale.edu writes:
|> >
|> >    It appears that dbx for the DS5000 provides no way of calling a
|> >    function.  Why has the extremely handy "call" command been removed?
|> >    This drastically cuts into our development efficiency!
|>
|> If I recall, QAR channel is appropriate for Field Test sites, normal sites
|> file an SPR (sofware performance report) instead.  In either case complaining
|> is likely to be ineffective, you must get some paper filed.  If you have
|> access to the normal support center channels, you can get the support center
|> people to do this for you, but you may have to insist, it doesn't happen
|> by default.
|>
|> You should also make your sales person aware of serious problems that affect
|> the usability/value of the product, it can't hurt.

Last week I gave DEC a call about this problem.  This morning I got a call from a DEC employee who said that they have recieved many complaints about the missing dbx "call" function. The problem has been fixed and the "call" function is going to be available with the next release.  Until then, we can all use the "print" command discoverd by Lavagno.

hudgens@SCRI.FSU.EDU (Jim Hudgens) (10/30/90)

|> > In article <26832@cs.yale.edu> weier@twolf.ce.yale.edu writes:
|> >
|> >    It appears that dbx for the DS5000 provides no way of calling a
|> >    function.  Why has the extremely handy "call" command been removed?
|> >    This drastically cuts into our development efficiency!

> Last week I gave DEC a call about this problem.  This morning I got a
> call from a DEC employee who said that they have recieved many
> complaints about the missing dbx "call" function. The problem has been
> fixed and the "call" function is going to be available with the next
> release.  Until then, we can all use the "print" command discoverd by
> Lavagno.

It doesn't work from fortran.

-----
      a=10.
      b=20.
      c=30.
      stop
      end

      subroutine foo(a,b,c)
      print*,"hello ",a,b,c
      return
      end
-----

$ dbx2.1 a.out
dbx version 2.10
Type 'help' for help.
reading symbolic information ...
[using pf.MAIN]
MAIN:   1  a=10.
(dbx2.1) stop at 4
[2] stop at "pf.f":4
(dbx2.1) run
[2] stopped at   [pf.MAIN:4 ,0x400230] 	stop
(dbx2.1) print a
10.0
(dbx2.1) print foo(a,b,c)

a not active
(dbx2.1) where
   0 foo(a = [bad address (0x272c658f)], b = [bad address (0x5c7c2)], c = [bad address (0x272c658f)]) ["pf.f":4, 0x400258]
   1 _mcount(0x5c7c2, 0x272c658f, 0x5c7c2, 0x272c658f, 0x5c7c2) ["./crt0.s":145, 0x4001d8]
(dbx2.1) run

dbx2.1: fatal error: value_from_regs: got reg(31) without entry

$

-------

Oh, well.  An explanation for the above is beyond me.  I've tried
other approaches (common blocks, etc.) and get differing
failures.  We await the next release.

--

brian@cimage.com (Brian Kelley) (11/03/90)

In article <26959@cs.yale.edu> weier@twolf.ce.yale.edu writes:

>Last week I gave DEC a call about this problem.  This morning I got a call
>from a DEC employee who said that they have recieved many complaints about
>the missing dbx "call" function. The problem has been fixed and the "call"
>function is going to be available with the next release.  Until then, we
>can all use the "print" command discoverd by Lavagno.

The changes to dbx in 4.0 have broken the xdbx front-end to dbx.
Has anyone patched xdbx to work with the dbx supplied in 4.0?

---
brian@cimage.com