[comp.unix.ultrix] Two strange problems with V4.0 on a DS3100

K.Spagnolo@massey.ac.nz (Ken Spagnolo) (10/31/90)

1) Processes hang, usually forever.  This is mainly noticeable
as a DECterm locking up.  It can be in the middle of anything.
Output is pouring onto the screen, then nothing, not even character
echo as I beat the return key in frustration.  Sometimes the process
comes back after a few minutes, but most of the time I end up
quitting the window (I let one go all day, once). I suppose this
could mean it's the DECterm, not the process being run, but other
high i/o system processes seem sometime to pause for several seconds
when nothing else is going on.  This, of course, is a hard thing
to tell; perhaps I'm oversensitive given the situation.  DEC say
there is a scheduler problem with 4.0 and gave me a patch, but it
has done nothing.

2) When rlogged or telnetted to another host, ^S is only let thru
to the remote system intermittently.  I notice this one when using
emacs.  I start up and hit ^S to do an I-search with no problem,
then do it again later and it's being ignored.  This doesn't occur
in windows on the local host and never happened with V3.1 and the
same emacs on the remote host.  DEC has no answer for this one yet,
but are sending me a patch for a different DECterm fix that they
hope might do something.

Thanx to anyone that can provide any information on these problems.
I'll post anything useful that I hear about.

Cheers,
--
Ken Spagnolo - Systems Programmer, Postmaster, Usenet Administrator, etc.
   Computer Centre, Massey University, Palmerston North, New Zealand

cws@gigo.uucp (Carl Schmidtmann) (11/05/90)

I have noticed a similar occurence to your DECterm hanging with Xterm.  In
the middle of large output commands (like uulog to my news server) the window
hangs and doesn't respond to anything, not even ^C or ^Z.  I have found though
that iconifying and de-iconifying the window will free it up.  To me it
sounds like some kind of flow control problem but I didn't think that could
happen between an X client and an X server or just between two processes.

BTW - DS2100, color, UWS4.0 with DEC's Motif V1.0
--

mellon@fenris.pa.dec.com (Ted Lemon) (11/05/90)

>I have noticed a similar occurence to your DECterm hanging with Xterm.  In
>the middle of large output commands (like uulog to my news server) the window
>hangs and doesn't respond to anything, not even ^C or ^Z.  I have found though
>that iconifying and de-iconifying the window will free it up.

Actually, this is just a bug in the (unsupported) code that DEC has
been shipping - I'm not sure where it came from, but you'll find that
if you compile the X11R3 or X11R4 libraries and clients, the bug will
go away.  I think it's a problem with an X event being incorrectly
discarded by the event loop, rather than a problem with flow control.

				_MelloN_

mathisen@dali.cs.montana.edu (Jaye Mathisen) (11/06/90)

In article <1990Oct31.060541.13807@massey.ac.nz> K.Spagnolo@massey.ac.nz (Ken Spagnolo) writes:
>1) Processes hang, usually forever.  This is mainly noticeable
>as a DECterm locking up.  It can be in the middle of anything.
>Output is pouring onto the screen, then nothing, not even character

I've noticed this too.  On both VAX and RISC 4.0 Dxterm's.  If you
select "Clear Communications" from the "Commands" menu on the dxterm window,
things get cleared up.

It only happens to me if the DXterm has been sitting with no I/O for
a while (~several hours)...

Weird.