[comp.unix.ultrix] CD ROM Blues

jls2@spdcc.COM (Jeff Stoner) (11/08/90)

I have received an RRD40 CD ROM drive on loan and want to set it up to use
with an Ultrix 4.0 VAXstation 3100 or DECstation 3100 system (I have
both). It unfortunately arrived without documentation...

1)	What device name do I need to create for it? What exact command
	does that?

2)	What exact mount command do I use to put it on the system?
	Someone I'm working with just received the same drive the same
	way and cannot successfully mount the CD ROM.

3)	Does the Ultrix driver read ISO 9660 standard disks? I have several
	star catalogues in that "standard" format, but understand that,
	at least under VMS (quit that hissing and booing!), a special package
	is required to read ISO 9660 CD disks with this drive.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

--
====== Jeff L. Stoner === Boulder, Colo. ============ /\ = /\ ========== |
   Work: jls2 @ ellery.esi.com                   /\  /  \ /  /\  /\    --*--

mamros@energy.irc.cbm.dec.com (Shawn Mamros) (11/08/90)

In article <4811@spdcc.SPDCC.COM>, jls2@spdcc.COM (Jeff Stoner) writes:
|> I have received an RRD40 CD ROM drive on loan and want to set it up [...]
|> 1)	What device name do I need to create for it? What exact command
|> 	does that?

Assuming that you've cabled it to the SCSI bus at SCSI unit N (0 <= N <= 5):
   # cd /dev
   # MAKEDEV rzN
just as you would with any other SCSI disk drive.

|> 2)	What exact mount command do I use to put it on the system?
|> 	Someone I'm working with just received the same drive the same
|> 	way and cannot successfully mount the CD ROM.

You need to mount it read-only with the "-r" switch on mount:
   # mount -r /dev/rzNc (wherever)
(Otherwise, mount complains about a "Restricted operation on file system".)

|> 3)	Does the Ultrix driver read ISO 9660 standard disks? [...]
I'm afraid I don't know the answer to that one (never tried it myself...)

|> Thanks for any help you can offer!
No problem...

-Shawn Mamros
E-mail to: mamros@crl.dec.com
Disclaimer: These are not "official" statements in any way, shape, or form.
No warranty is expressed or implied, etc...

francus@e2big.mko.dec.com (Yoseff Francus) (11/08/90)

In article <4811@spdcc.SPDCC.COM> jls2@ursa-major.spdcc.com (Jeff Stoner) writes:

>I have received an RRD40 CD ROM drive on loan and want to set it up to use
>with an Ultrix 4.0 VAXstation 3100 or DECstation 3100 system (I have
>both). It unfortunately arrived without documentation...
>
>1)	What device name do I need to create for it? What exact command
>	does that?

Connect it to your system setting the dip switch to 4, or if that is
used to something between 0-5 (preferrably not 5) that is not in use
on your SCSi bus. Then at the console prompt
>> test -c
will tell you which device the rrd40 is at.
then do
>> init
>> boot
to boot up your system.

Assuming it is device 4, once your system is booted:
log in as root, cd to /dev and run
# MAKEDEV rz4

This will make the special files needed for your rrd40

>2)	What exact mount command do I use to put it on the system?
>	Someone I'm working with just received the same drive the same
>	way and cannot successfully mount the CD ROM.
Use the standard mount command but with the -r option since
it is a read only device.

>3)	Does the Ultrix driver read ISO 9660 standard disks? I have several
>	star catalogues in that "standard" format, but understand that,
>	at least under VMS (quit that hissing and booing!), a special package
>	is required to read ISO 9660 CD disks with this drive.

Just read it as if it were a standard Ultrix file system.
You shouldn't need any special package.

>--
>====== Jeff L. Stoner === Boulder, Colo. ============ /\ = /\ ========== |
>   Work: jls2 @ ellery.esi.com                   /\  /  \ /  /\  /\    --*--
>   Home: @boulder.colorado.edu:bearhug!jls2   /\/  \/    /  /  \/  /\    |
>   News: jls2 @ ursa-major.spdcc.com       /\/  \   \  /\  /    \    /\

yoseff

--
In Xanadu did Kubla Khan
A stately pleasure dome decree

francus@mko.dec.com

alan@shodha.enet.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) (11/08/90)

In article <4811@spdcc.SPDCC.COM>, jls2@spdcc.COM (Jeff Stoner) writes:

> I have received an RRD40 CD ROM drive on loan and want to set it up to use
> with an Ultrix 4.0 VAXstation 3100 or DECstation 3100 system (I have
> both). It unfortunately arrived without documentation...
>
> 1)	What device name do I need to create for it? What exact command
> 	does that?

	1.  Find the unit number of the RRD40.  The out-of-the box
	    default is probably 4, 0 or 7.  Mine is in an inconvient
	    place to look at the switch packs, but there is one on
	    the back for the unit number.  If all else fails, use
	    the "scsi pb" command on the DECstation 3100 to figure
	    it out.

	2.  When you boot the DECstation it will print some lines that
	    look like (ULTRIX V4.0):

		rz0 at sii0 slave 0 (RZ55)
		rz1 at sii0 slave 1 (RZ55)
		rz3 at sii0 slave 3 (RZ23)
		rz4 at sii0 slave 4 (RRD40)
		tz5 at sii0 slave 5 (TK50)

	    Find the device name corresponding to the RRD40 and
	    use MAKEDEV to create the special device files for it.

		# cd /dev
		# MAKEDEV rz4

	    It will probably be much the same on the VAXstation.

> 2)	What exact mount command do I use to put it on the system?
> 	Someone I'm working with just received the same drive the same
> 	way and cannot successfully mount the CD ROM.

	It will depend on what disc you have, but if is one of the
	ULTRIX distribution discs:

		# mount -r /dev/rz4c /mnt

	(or whatever other file system you want for the mount point).

> 3)	Does the Ultrix driver read ISO 9660 standard disks? I have several
> 	star catalogues in that "standard" format, but understand that,
> 	at least under VMS (quit that hissing and booing!), a special package
> 	is required to read ISO 9660 CD disks with this drive.

	The driver will probably let you read "sectors" from the disc
	using the raw device.  There isn't file system code to support
	anything but bits that look like a Fast File System.  If you
	know the format of the disc, reading is probably just a SMOP
	(small matter of programming).  I've seen a program that does
	this, but I'm not sure where it came from.

--
Alan Rollow				alan@nabeth.enet.dec.com