[comp.unix.ultrix] problems with 8mm DAT

collier@triton.unm.edu (Michael Collier) (11/08/90)

we have a Mountain Computer Inc. "FileSafe 2100-D" 2048 Mb 8mm DAT
drive, as distributed by DEC. it is daisy-chained off of a Decstation
3100 as a SCSI device. the problem is that it goes off line at
the drop of a hat, and requires a power cycle in order to recover.
has anyone had enough experience with this make/model to tell me
whether this is "normal"? any workarounds? please e-mail. thanks
in advance
--
Michael H. Collier				INET:    collier@ariel.unm.edu
						BITNET:  COLLIER@UNMB

de5@ornl.gov (Dave Sill) (11/08/90)

In article <1990Nov7.200419.25168@ariel.unm.edu>, collier@triton.unm.edu (Michael Collier) writes:
>we have a Mountain Computer Inc. "FileSafe 2100-D" 2048 Mb 8mm DAT
>drive, as distributed by DEC.

DAT is 4mm.  8mm is Exabyte.

>it is daisy-chained off of a Decstation
>3100 as a SCSI device. the problem is that it goes off line at
>the drop of a hat, and requires a power cycle in order to recover.
>has anyone had enough experience with this make/model to tell me
>whether this is "normal"? any workarounds? please e-mail. thanks
>in advance

I haven't seen that yet with ours, but we haven't had it very long.

--
Dave Sill (de5@ornl.gov)
Martin Marietta Energy Systems

collier@triton.unm.edu (Michael Collier) (11/09/90)

In article <1990Nov8.131229.21054@cs.utk.edu> Dave Sill <de5@ornl.gov> writes:
>In article <1990Nov7.200419.25168@ariel.unm.edu>, collier@triton.unm.edu (Michael Collier) writes:
>>we have a Mountain Computer Inc. "FileSafe 2100-D" 2048 Mb 8mm DAT
>>drive, as distributed by DEC.
>
>DAT is 4mm.  8mm is Exabyte.

so how does "Exabyte" technology differ from "DAT" technology? may i
assume that our drive is not a "digital/analog tape" (DAT), but something
else entirely?

>>it is daisy-chained off of a Decstation
>>3100 as a SCSI device. the problem is that it goes off line at
>>the drop of a hat, and requires a power cycle in order to recover.
>>has anyone had enough experience with this make/model to tell me
>>whether this is "normal"? any workarounds? please e-mail. thanks
>>in advance
>
>I haven't seen that yet with ours, but we haven't had it very long.
>
>--
>Dave Sill (de5@ornl.gov)
>Martin Marietta Energy Systems
>Workstation Support

a followup: problem solved. i had several responses indicating this device
works fine on Decstation 5000 class machines. no one seems to use it on 3100s.
just as well: they don't work on 3100s. we switched ours to a 5000, and
everything is ok now. thanks for all the help.
--

de5@ornl.gov (Dave Sill) (11/12/90)

In article <1990Nov8.232544.1296@ariel.unm.edu>, collier@triton.unm.edu (Michael Collier) writes:
>In article <1990Nov8.131229.21054@cs.utk.edu> Dave Sill <de5@ornl.gov> writes:
>>In article <1990Nov7.200419.25168@ariel.unm.edu>, collier@triton.unm.edu (Michael Collier) writes:
>>>we have a Mountain Computer Inc. "FileSafe 2100-D" 2048 Mb 8mm DAT
>>>drive, as distributed by DEC.
>>
>>DAT is 4mm.  8mm is Exabyte.
>
>so how does "Exabyte" technology differ from "DAT" technology? may i
>assume that our drive is not a "digital/analog tape" (DAT), but something
>else entirely?

The FileSafe 2100 is an 8mm (Exabyte) drive.  The tapes used are standard 8mm
videotapes (consider buying them from the local K-Mart at a fraction of what
DEC charges), but the transport is different than that used in 8mm video.  It
was developed by Exabyte, who, as far as I know, still makes all of the drives
used for data storage.

DAT (Digital Audio Tape) is a different story.  The tapes and transports used
for DAT are the same for both audio and data applications, and are made by
several different manufacturers.  DAT tapes are half the width of Exabyte
tapes: 4mm.