[comp.unix.ultrix] Help shell script programming

ke004ke01@mdcbbs.com (11/10/90)

      Howdy:

      I was wondering if there are any good books and or DEC
publications on shell script programming for ULTRIX ??  Or maybe
are there any classes on this subject ??

grAnt

avolio@decuac.DEC.COM (Frederick M. Avolio) (11/13/90)

The UNIX Programming Environment by Kernighan and Pike is
excellent.

Fred

len@mel.dit.csiro.au (Len Makin) (11/14/90)

In article <1990Nov9.123319.1210@mdcbbs.com>, ke004ke01@mdcbbs.com writes:

|>       Howdy:
|>
|>       I was wondering if there are any good books and or DEC
|> publications on shell script programming for ULTRIX ??  Or maybe
|> are there any classes on this subject ??
|>

|> grAnt

Try "A Practical Guide to the Unix System" ,M.G.Sobell,
 (Benjamin Cummings 1989, ISBN 0-8053-0243-3)
Chapter 8 covers the Bourne Shell, Chapter 9 the C shell,
 and there's even an appendix on the Korn shell.

	Len Makin
	Senior lecturer, Monash University College Gippsland.
	temporarily on leave at CSIRO Information Technology Melbourne AUSTRALIA.
	makin@mel.dit.csiro.au

grahj@gagme.chi.il.us (jim graham) (11/15/90)

In article <1990Nov9.123319.1210@mdcbbs.com>, ke004ke01@mdcbbs.com writes:

>       Howdy:
>
>       I was wondering if there are any good books and or DEC
> publications on shell script programming for ULTRIX ??  Or maybe
> are there any classes on this subject ??

Two books --- one has already been mentioned (the K&R book on the ``UNIX
Programming Environment'').

The second book you might want to look at is not specifically geared toward
shell programming, but has lots of good examples.  I'm not too sure of the
exact title, but it's something like ``Guide to UNIX System Administration''
or so.  I remember 2 of the 3 authors' names --- Evi Nemeth, Garth Snyder,
and ....  I realize this information is rather rough, and the title is no
doubt at least partially wrong, but it should be a start.  If you want, send
me a direct reply, and I'll go look up the exact info for you.  Again, it's a
system admin book, but the examples in the back are very good.  between this
and the K&R book, you should be set.

hope this helps....
Jim Graham

mjr@hussar.dco.dec.com (Marcus J. Ranum) (11/17/90)

In article <889@gagme.chi.il.us> grahj@gagme.chi.il.us (jim graham) writes:

>Two books --- one has already been mentioned (the K&R book on the ``UNIX
>Programming Environment'').

	That's K&P, not K&R ! If you buy K&R all you'll read about is
C. Another good, but dated, book is S.R. Bourne's "the UNIX system"
which is less about shell programming than a kind of general look at a
lot of the (old) things in UNIX, such as nroff - the "ed" editor (which
some diehard gurus still use :), and some old-style C programming.

	I still like to refer people to K&P and Bourne because there's
a lot of the UNIX mentality in those books - the "small & simple" and
"modular without 16 pages of command-line options". It's an approach
the UNIX industry is clearly moving away from, to its detriment. The
K&P examples of programming are really interesting - the "hoc" project
is a little gem, that I feel covers all the essentials of how to design,
develop, and test a small C project under UNIX.

mjr.
--
"When choosing between two evils, give preference to the council of your
tummy over that of your testes. The history of mankind is full of disasters