[comp.unix.ultrix] SKIP

hamm@mbcl.rutgers.edu (11/17/90)

In article <PERF.90Nov15165838@osiris.efd.lth.se>, perf@efd.lth.se (Per Foreby) writes:
> We have 20 VAXstn 2000 which are never used because our Sun's are much
> faster. Our DEC salesman came up with an idea: Buy som new DECstation
> 2100's, put 24 Mb in each of them, and use the old 2000's as
> X-terminals.
>
> In this way, by purchasing 20 DECstation 2100, we could get 40 fast
> workstations.
>
> Comments? Has anyone tried this?
> --

The VAXstation 2000's will work fine as X-terminals *provided* you put
enough memory in them.  I'd suggest an absolute minimum of 12MB, and
preferably 16.  We've tried with 6MB (running DECwindows with only
the server stuff running on the 2000), and it works, but painfully.
Logging in is especially fun -- plenty of time for a cup of coffee,
including brewing time.

With more memory, they work fine.  But you have to consider the cost
of adding memory vs. invoking DEC's trade-in deals on DECstations.

Greg
Gregory H. Hamm                           || Phone:   (201)932-4864
Director, Molecular Biology Computing Lab || FAX:     (201)932-5735
Waksman Institute/CABM                    || BITNET:   hamm@biovax
P.O. Box 759, Rutgers University          || Internet: hamm@mbcl.rutgers.edu
Piscataway, NJ 08855 * USA                ||

farhad@Tehran.Stanford.EDU (Farhad Shakeri) (11/20/90)

In article <173.2744038a@mbcl.rutgers.edu>, hamm@mbcl.rutgers.edu writes:
|> In article <PERF.90Nov15165838@osiris.efd.lth.se>, perf@efd.lth.se (Per Foreby) writes:
|> > We have 20 VAXstn 2000 which are never used because our Sun's are much
|> > faster. Our DEC salesman came up with an idea: Buy som new DECstation
|> > 2100's, put 24 Mb in each of them, and use the old 2000's as
|> > X-terminals.
|> >
|> > In this way, by purchasing 20 DECstation 2100, we could get 40 fast
|> > workstations.
|> >
|> > Comments? Has anyone tried this?
|> > --
|>
|> The VAXstation 2000's will work fine as X-terminals *provided* you put
|> enough memory in them.  I'd suggest an absolute minimum of 12MB, and
|> preferably 16.  We've tried with 6MB (running DECwindows with only
|> the server stuff running on the 2000), and it works, but painfully.
|> Logging in is especially fun -- plenty of time for a cup of coffee,
|> including brewing time.
|>
|> With more memory, they work fine.  But you have to consider the cost
|> of adding memory vs. invoking DEC's trade-in deals on DECstations.
|>
|> Greg

I have about  8 VAXstation 2000s and  I am running  X11R4 server with
xdm query send to a sun 4/490.  These machine have the default memory
of 6MEG.  except the xclock nothing else runs there.  I have not
have any problems or slowness.  If you compare it to an NCD then
NCD is faster but not much.

On the other hand if your run  Decwindows then the above is true.

      /   Farhad Shakeri       E-Mail:                     /
     /  Stanford University    farhad@Tehran.Stanford.EDU /
    / Computer Science Dept.                             /