[comp.unix.ultrix] dumping to TK-70

bbraden@mesrx.UUCP (Bill Braden) (11/21/90)

Making the jump from VMS system managment to ULTRIX system managment
sure is fun.  Here is a little problem that some of you expirenced
super users might be able to help with.

I am doing a level 0 dump of my file systems to TK-70.  The file system
in question is under 200mb.  A TK-70 is supposed to hold 295mb.  Why
does dump require 3 tapes?

-------------------------------
#df
Filesystem   Total    kbytes   kbytes   %
node         kbytes   used     free     used  Mounted on
/dev/ra1a       7407    5324    1343    80%   /
/dev/ra0c     145726  111987   19167    85%   /usr
/dev/ra1g      41639    6069   31407    16%   /var
/dev/ra7h     316335  155075  129626    54%   /usr/news
/dev/ra4f     197627  165024   12841    93%   /awb
# dump 0 /dev/ra4f
  DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Tue Nov 20 15:21:20 1990
  DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: Thu Nov 15 07:55:37 1990
  DUMP: Dumping /dev/rra4f (/awb) to /dev/rmt0h
  DUMP: Mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
  DUMP: Mapping (Pass II) [directories]
  DUMP: Mapping (Pass II) [directories]
  DUMP: Mapping (Pass II) [directories]

  DUMP: Estimates based on 1200 feet of tape at a density of 10240
BPI...
  DUMP: This dump will occupy 17987 (10240 byte) blocks on 2.12 tape(s).

--------------------------------

Have I got something setup strange, does the system think its a TK-50?
Should I be using B,d or s options?  Is dump just a tape hog? Or should
I just stick to VMS?

--Bill Braden  (Measurex Inc.)

					Onward Through the Fog!

rauletta@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (R. J. Auletta) (11/24/90)

In article <517@mesrx.UUCP> bbraden@mesrx.UUCP (Bill Braden) writes:
>I am doing a level 0 dump of my file systems to TK-70.  The file system
>in question is under 200mb.  A TK-70 is supposed to hold 295mb.  Why
>does dump require 3 tapes?

Use the s option with 4800 as the argument..like

dump 0usf 4800 /dev/nrmt0h  filesystem1
dump 0usf 4800 /dev/nrmt0h  filesystem2
dump 0usf 4800 /dev/nrmt0h  filesystem3

to dump several partitions to a single tape.
(If you wish to dump one filesystem then use *dump 0us 4800*,
but using 290Meg to hold hold a small partition seems wasteful.)

This works quite well for incremental dumps as the whole
file system can most likely be dumped without *changing* tapes.

Beware though, accessing the last dump file on a multi-dump
tape can *take a while*. (Using either *mf fsf #* or *restore s #*.

Interestingly under Ultrix 2.0 dump would use EOT to sense the
end of the tape and still dump correctly even without the
s option. Not so under 3.0 and 3.1.

-R J Auletta
 rauletta@sitevax.gmu.edu

alan@shodha.enet.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) (11/25/90)

In article <517@mesrx.UUCP>, bbraden@mesrx.UUCP (Bill Braden) writes:
> Making the jump from VMS system managment to ULTRIX system managment
> sure is fun.  Here is a little problem that some of you expirenced
> super users might be able to help with.
>
> I am doing a level 0 dump of my file systems to TK-70.  The file system
> in question is under 200mb.  A TK-70 is supposed to hold 295mb.  Why
> does dump require 3 tapes?
>
> [ Example dump deleted. ]

	What version of ULTRIX are you running?  Before V4.0 dump(8)
	calculated how much tape a particular backup based on the
	length of tape, density, inter-record gap, phase of moon,
	etc.  For nice normal 9 track tape drives this always worked
	well.  For nearly anything else the algorithm breaks and you
	sometimes have to hand dump(8) slightly bogus numbers to get
	it estimate correctly.  Previously these estimates were used
	to decide when to go to the next tape of a volume.  I think
	in V4.0 it just keeps dumping until it hits EOT, then goes to
	the next tape.

> Have I got something setup strange, does the system think its a TK-50?
> Should I be using B,d or s options?  Is dump just a tape hog? Or should
> I just stick to VMS?

	I think more recent versions of dump(8) will say what kind
	of tape they think they are talking to.  I didn't look closely
	enough at your listing to see.  If you're running V4.0 then
	there shouldn't be a problem.  Otherwise check the release
	notes to see if says what the incantation is for a TK70 on
	your particular version.

--
Alan Rollow				alan@nabeth.enet.dec.com